Who we are

The Tufts Daily is the entirely student-run newspaper of record at Tufts University in Medford, Mass. An editorially and financially independent organization, the Daily’s staff of more than 100 covers news, features, arts and sports on Tufts’ four campuses and in its host communities. The Daily’s editorial board and columnists provide opinions and commentary alongside op-eds submitted by readers and members of the Tufts community. In recent years, the Daily has also expanded into multimedia, including podcasts and videojournalism.

Founded in 1980, the Daily publishes a print edition four days each week and a digital edition every weekday during the academic year. All of the Daily’s coverage can be found on its consistently updated website devoted to upholding its motto: “Where you read it first.”

Many alumni of the Daily have gone on to lead successful careers in journalism and other industries, including: Karen Israel, producer for Dateline NBC; Patrick Healy, politics editor at The New York Times; Pierre Omidyar, founder of eBay; David Kramer, former Assistant Secretary of State for Democracy, Human Rights, and Labor; Bob Goodman, senior vice president for product experience at Virgin Pulse; and many others.

Contact us here

The Tufts Daily Managing Board

Summer and Fall 2021

Madeleine Aitken, Editor in Chief

Maddie is celebrating her fifth semester at the Daily, having previously served as Executive News Editor and as an editor in the Features section. She is responsible for managing all sections of the Daily, and works closely with the Editorial Department. When she’s not in the office, she can be found basking in the sun on Prez Lawn, drinking out of her emotional-support Nalgene or rewatching Gilmore Girls for the millionth time. Her proudest moment at the Daily was winning article of the semester in fall 2020. Maddie is a junior studying English and film and media studies and can be reached at [email protected] Ask her about the Daily’s editorial process!

Mariel Priven, Managing Editor

Mariel is celebrating her fifth semester at the Daily, having previously served as an Executive Copy Editor. Along with Maddie and Kate, she leads the Editorial Department and is responsible for accuracy and clarity in all content. When she’s not in the office, she can be found grabbing a coffee from The Sink, playing the New York Times Spelling Bee or participating in other student organizations such as TAMID at Tufts. Her proudest moment at the Daily was when she and Julian beat Cole’s record for most copy edits made to a single article. Mariel is a junior studying community health and can be reached at [email protected]. Ask her about how language contributes to the Daily’s commitment to intentionality and inclusivity!

Kate Seklir, Managing Editor

Kate is celebrating her fifth semester at the Daily, having previously served as an Executive Copy Editor. She works with Maddie and Mariel to ensure intentionality and inclusivity in all content across all platforms. When she’s not in the office, you can find her doing crossword puzzles, listening to Taylor Swift or participating in other student organizations such as WMFO radio and the Leonard Carmichael Society. Her proudest moment at the Daily was watching the spring 2021 copy editors’ skills flourish over the course of the semester. Kate is a junior studying political science and can be reached at [email protected]. Ask her about the Daily’s role on Tufts’ campus and our growing journalism education initiatives!

Priya Padhye, Associate Editor

Priya is celebrating her fifth semester at the Daily, having previously served as Executive Opinion Editor. Alongside Ethan, she sends the weekly newsletters and works in the Editorial Department. She also works on journalism education initiatives and efforts to foster greater cross-section collaboration and community within the Daily. Outside of the office, she can be found exploring local bookstores, figuring out how to cook or playing her thousandth round of Codenames. Her proudest moment at the Daily was implementing the restructuring of the Opinion section this past spring and seeing writers produce excellent new forms of bylined content. Priya is a junior studying economics and can be reached at [email protected]. Ask her about education initiatives, or email her with any ideas!

Ethan Steinberg, Associate Editor

Ethan is celebrating his fifth semester at the Daily, having previously served as Executive Copy Editor and Managing Editor. He manages the newsletters with Priya and works within the Editorial Department. He also oversees special projects to build community, strengthen training and revitalize the Daily’s digital presence. Outside of the office, he likes to watch Survivor, browse the AP Stylebook and doomscroll through Mets twitter. His proudest moment at the Daily was welcoming many first-years to the Copy section last fall. Ethan is a junior studying international relations and film and media studies and can be reached at [email protected] Email him with questions or ideas!

Campbell Devlin, Production Director

Campbell is in her third semester at the Daily, having previously served as an Executive Layout Editor. She is responsible for overseeing the production side of the Daily, from laying out the content to ensuring that the paper is printed and distributed across campus. Outside of the Daily, she can be found on a run around Medford or walking to Dunkin’ Donuts for her daily cup of iced coffee. Her proudest moment at the Daily was working on the commencement issue from last spring; it was a long but rewarding experience for her! Campbell is a junior studying women’s, gender, and sexuality studies and economics, and can be reached at [email protected] Ask her about initiatives on layout design and production!

Evelyn McClure, Business Director

Evelyn is celebrating her fifth semester with the Daily, having previously written and edited for the Features section. She leads the Business Department, which is responsible for keeping the Daily financially solvent through advertising and donations. When she is not in the office, you can find her working on a problem set in the SEC or baking in her house. Her proudest moment at the Daily was seeing her first byline as a Features writer her first-year fall. Evelyn is a junior studying math and quantitative economics and can be reached at [email protected] Ask her about any initiatives on advertising or business operations!

The Tufts Daily Executive Board
Summer and Fall 2021

Alex Janoff
Executive News Editor

Jill Collins
Executive Features Editor

Phoebe Wong
Executive Arts Editor

Paloma Delgado
Executive Opinion Editor

Ananda Kao
Executive Sports Editor

Alex Viveros
Investigative Editor

Hannah Harris
Executive Audio Producer

Jackson Parsells
Web Manager

Sophie Dolan
Executive Photo Editor

Michelle Li
Executive Photo Editor

Ty Blitstein
Executive Video Editor

Mac Callahan
Executive Layout Editor

Maddy Noah
Executive Layout Editor

Lucy Kaskel
Executive Layout Editor

Asli Kocak
Executive Graphics Editor

Julian Perry
Executive Copy Editor

Sarah Sandlow
Executive Copy Editor

Kendall Roberts
Executive Social Media Editor

Elise Fong
Executive Social Media Editor

Rebecca Barker
Outreach Coordinator

Jilly Rolnick
Outreach Coordinator