Who we are

The Tufts Daily is the entirely student-run newspaper of record at Tufts University in Medford, Mass. An editorially and financially independent organization, the Daily’s staff of more than 100 covers news, features, arts and sports on Tufts’ four campuses and in its host communities. The Daily’s editorial board and columnists provide opinions and commentary alongside op-eds submitted by readers and members of the Tufts community. In recent years, the Daily has also expanded into multimedia, including podcasts and videojournalism.

Founded in 1980, the Daily publishes a print edition four days each week and a digital edition every weekday during the academic year. All of the Daily’s coverage can be found on its consistently updated website devoted to upholding its motto: “Where you read it first.”

Many alumni of the Daily have gone on to lead successful careers in journalism and other industries, including: Karen Israel, producer for Dateline NBC; Patrick Healy, politics editor at The New York Times; Pierre Omidyar, founder of eBay; David Kramer, former Assistant Secretary of State for Democracy, Human Rights, and Labor; Bob Goodman, senior vice president for product experience at Virgin Pulse; and many others.

Contact us here.

The Tufts Daily Managing Board

Summer and Fall 2020

Alex Viveros, Editor-in-Chief

Alex is currently embarking upon his fifth semester at the Daily, having previously served as managing editor and executive sports editor. He is responsible for overseeing all sections of the Daily, with an emphasis on the Editorial Department. He is from Palo Alto, Calif. and is a native Spanish speaker. His proudest moment at the Daily was when he won the Sports Rookie of the Semester award during his first year. He is a junior studying biology and community health and can be reached at [email protected] Ask him about the editorial process as well as any questions about student journalism!

Rebecca Barker, Managing Editor

Rebecca is on her fifth semester at the Daily, having previously served as an executive copy editor. She helps lead the Editorial Department and is responsible for quality, clarity and factuality in all content. She is also the Managing Board representative on the Intentionality & Inclusivity Committee. When she’s not in the office, you can probably either find her waiting in line at the gym for a treadmill or drinking a Medford Fog from the Rez. Her proudest moment at the Daily was that time she found a hyperlinked comma in an article. She is a junior studying international relations and English and can be reached at [email protected] Ask her about initiatives on content quality!

Hannah Harris, Managing Editor

Hannah is celebrating her third semester at the Daily, previously serving as executive opinion editor. Along with Rebecca and Alex, she leads the Editorial Department, oversees the Daily’s content sections and ensures article accuracy and quality. She is passionate about writing, literature, television shows and, of course, semicolons. When not in the office, she can be found convincing her classmates to become vegetarian, drinking tea or rewatching “Arrested Development” for the fourth time. Her proudest moments at the Daily were redesigning the Opinion section, teaching editorialists and watching their improvement over the semester. Hannah is a sophomore studying English and can be reached at [email protected] Ask her about initiatives on staff success and training! 

Jake Freudberg, Associate Editor

Jake is in his fifth semester at the Daily, having previously served as executive sports editor. He sends our email newsletters and collaborates with the executive editors and the business team. He is also the Daily’s resident paranormal investigator and reigning champion at all games, especially Clue. His proudest moment at the Daily was winning Clue. Jake is a junior studying film and media studies, Spanish and education and can be reached at [email protected] Contact him because he loves fan mail!

Jilly Rolnick, Associate Editor

Jilly is in her fifth semester at the Daily, having previously served as executive copy editor and reported for the News section. As Associate Editor, she has become the Daily’s most vital and favorite person after assuming the task of ordering the office takeout every night. In addition, Jilly works closely on community building and outreach initiatives. Outside of the Daily, she can be found lying on Prez Lawn, using the Oxford comma, or participating in several other organizations at Tufts including the women’s club lacrosse team, Alpha Phi sorority, and Challah for Hunger. Her proudest moment at the Daily was seeing her byline published for the first time. Jilly is a junior studying international relations, sociology, and Latin American studies and can be reached at [email protected] Ask her about initiatives on alumni outreach and organizing!

Kevin Zhang, Production Director

Kevin is on his third semester at the Daily, having previously served as an executive layout editor. He is responsible for most of the days when the paper isn’t published on time, and graphic design is his passion. His proudest moment at the Daily was when the office WiFi went out on his first night of production. Kevin is a sophomore studying civil engineering and can be reached at [email protected] Ask him about initiatives on layout design and production!

Robert Kaplan, Business Director

Robert is celebrating his fifth semester at the Daily, having previously served as executive news editor. He oversees all of the Daily‘s transactions and accounts, manages the Business Department staff  and maintains the Curtis Hall office space. His proudest moment at the Daily was when the last regular print edition of spring 2020 was published on March 12, 2020. He is a junior studying quantitative economics, history and mathematics and can be reached at [email protected] Ask him about initiatives on business operations, strategic planning and advertising!

The Tufts Daily Executive Board

Summer and Fall 2020

Alejandra Carrillo
Executive News Editor
Ryan Shaffer
Executive Features Editor
Megan Szostak
Executive Arts Editor
Liz Shelbred
Executive Opinion Editor
Sruthi Kocherlakota
Executive Sports Editor
Austin Clementi
Executive Investigative Editor
Arlo Moore-Bloom
Executive Audio Producer
Austen Money
Executive Video Editor
Ann Marie Burke
Executive Photo Editor
Nicole Garay
Executive Photo Editor
Rachel Hsin
Executive Layout Editor
Yanqing Huang
Executive Layout Editor
Laura Mogannam
Executive Layout Editor
Tys Sweeney
Executive Graphics Editor
Ethan Steinberg
Executive Copy Editor
Colton Wolk
Executive Copy Editor
Michelle Li
Executive Social Media Editor
Tiffany Namkoong
Executive Social Media Editor
Luke Allocco
Outreach Coordinator
Sam Russo
Outreach Coordinator