Who we are

The Tufts Daily is the entirely student-run newspaper of record at Tufts University in Medford, Mass. An editorially and financially independent organization, the Daily’s staff of more than 100 covers news, features, arts and sports on Tufts’ four campuses and in its host communities. The Daily’s editorial board and columnists provide opinions and commentary alongside op-eds submitted by readers and members of the Tufts community. In recent years, the Daily has also expanded into multimedia, including podcasts and videojournalism.

Founded in 1980, the Daily publishes a print edition four days each week and a digital edition every weekday during the academic year. All of the Daily’s coverage can be found on its consistently updated website devoted to upholding its motto: “Where you read it first.”

Many alumni of the Daily have gone on to lead successful careers in journalism and other industries, including: Patrick Healy, deputy opinion editor at The New York Times; Pierre Omidyar, founder of eBay; Geoff Edgers, national arts reporter for The Washington Post; Karen Israel, producer for Dateline NBC; David Kramer, former Assistant Secretary of State for Democracy, Human Rights, and Labor; Bob Goodman, senior vice president for product experience at Virgin Pulse; Elizabeth Landers, chief political correspondent for VICE News; and many others.

Contact us here

The Tufts Daily Managing Board

Summer and Fall 2022

Chloe Courtney Bohl, Editor in Chief

Chloe is celebrating her fifth semester at the Daily, having previously served as the executive news editor and a co-producer of “The Rewind.” She oversees the Daily’s Editorial, Production and Business departments and is responsible for ensuring the paper’s short- and long-term health and growth. Chloe is passionate about publishing journalism that amplifies marginalized voices and holds powerful individuals and groups accountable. When she’s not in the office, you can find her sampling every chai latte in the Medford/Somerville area, going for a run around campus or listening to a news podcast. One of her proudest moments at the Daily was breaking the news of University President Anthony Monaco’s impending retirement in February 2022. Chloe is a junior studying international relations and can be reached at [email protected]. Ask her about the importance of independent student journalism on Tufts’ campus!

Julia Shannon-Grillo, Managing Editor

Julia is celebrating her fifth semester at the Daily, having previously served as an executive copy editor. Along with Chloe and Delaney, she is responsible for overseeing the factual accuracy, clarity and ethical practices of the paper while steering its long-term vision. Additionally, Julia works to advance educational opportunities in journalism for the Daily’s staff. When she’s not in the office, Julia can be found practicing with the sailing team on Mystic Lake, racing on the Charles River or talking someone’s ear off about how great Vermont is. She is most proud of her contributions toward efficient production nights in spring 2022! Julia is a junior from Burlington, Vt., studying community health. She can be reached at [email protected]. Ask her about student media rights!

Delaney Clarke, Managing Editor

Delaney is celebrating her fourth semester at the Daily, having previously served as executive features editor. Delaney works closely with Chloe and Julia to lead the editorial department and ensure all content is factual, ethical and clear. When she’s not in the office, Delaney can be found going on runs throughout Medford, Somerville and Cambridge, drinking way too much coffee or speed writing a last minute essay in the basement of Tisch. Her proudest moment at the Daily was getting to recruit and train so many amazing new features writers last semester! Delaney is a senior from Sherborn, Mass., studying engineering psychology. She can be reached at [email protected]. Ask her about journalistic ethics!

Ty Blitstein, Associate Editor

Ty is celebrating his fifth semester at the Daily, having previously served as executive video editor, assistant copy editor and audio reporter for “The Rewind.” Along with Abi, Ty oversees strategic long-term projects at the Daily and works to facilitate collaboration between the Editorial, Production and Business departments. Outside the office, Ty can be found editing the Tufts Hemispheres international relations journal, watching CBS Sunday Morning or riding his bike on the Somerville Community Path. One of his proudest moments at the Daily was rebuilding the paper’s video team throughout the 2021-22 school year. Ty is a junior from Central New Jersey studying political science and economics and can be reached at [email protected]. Ask him about the Daily’s Newsroom Concert series!

Abigail Vixama, Associate Editor

Abi is celebrating her fifth semester at the Daily, having previously served as an executive copy editor in spring 2022. Along with Ty, she is responsible for recruiting new members, planning DailyCon and fostering community through organization-wide traditions such as The Hunt. Outside of the office, Abi can be found singing her heart out at concerts, trying new restaurants in Boston or strumming away on her guitar. Her favorite memory at the Daily was production night for the April Fools’ issue, particularly when the executive board organized a belated birthday surprise for her. Abi is a junior from Quincy, Mass. studying international relations and sociology and can be reached at [email protected]. Ask her about the AP Stylebook!

Charlene Tsai, Production Director

Charlene is celebrating her fifth semester with the Daily, having previously served as an executive layout editor. She is responsible for overseeing the production of the Daily — including layout, printing and distribution. Outside of the office, she can be found on the SMFA shuttle (she’s a dual degree student studying clinical psychology and studio art) or volunteering with TASTE (Tufts After School Teaching and Enrichment). Her proudest moment at the Daily was laying out the paper for special issues like April Fools’! Charlene is a junior from Taipei, Taiwan, and Newton, Mass., and can be reached at [email protected].

Sam Berman, Business Director

Sam is celebrating his second semester with the Daily, having previously served on the Business team. He is in charge of the Business department and is responsible for the Daily’s financial independence. Outside of the Daily, he can be found swimming at the pool or trying new restaurants. Sam is a sophomore from Louisville, Ky., studying economics and finance and can be reached at [email protected]. Ask him about initiatives in the Business department!

The Tufts Daily Executive Board
Summer and Fall 2022

Emily Thompson
Executive News Editor

Mark Choi
Executive Features Editor

Jack Clohisy
Executive Arts Editor

Reya Kumar
Executive Opinion Editor

Keila McCabe
Executive Sports Editor

Ethan Steinberg
Investigative Editor

Flora Meng
Executive Science Editor

Aaron Klein
Executive Audio Producer

Ian Lau
Executive Photo Editor

Natalie Brownsell
Executive Photo Editor

Julia Carpi
Executive Video Editor

Evelyn Altschuler
Executive Newsletter Editor

Maddy Noah
Executive Layout Editor

Mike Kourkoulakos
Executive Layout Editor

Avril Lynch
Executive Graphics Editor

Camilla Samuel
Executive Graphics Editor

Rachel Liu
Executive Copy Editor

Chris Vergos
Executive Copy Editor

Caroline Vandis
Executive Social Media Editor

Kate Seklir
Alumni Liaison

Liz Buehl
Executive Social Media Editor

Odessa Gaines
Intentionality & Inclusivity Committee Co-Chair

Kendall Roberts
Alumni Liaison

Avery Hanna