Men's soccer keeps rolling, dominates Brandeis and Salem State

0W7A0990
No. 1 men's soccer beat Brandeis 4–0 on Sept. 18.

This week, the men’s soccer team stayed hot, defeating Brandeis University and Salem State University. Tufts showcased an offensive outburst on Saturday, netting four goals and blanking Brandeis. The Jumbos followed up this performance by putting in five more goals on Tuesday night en route to a 5–1 victory over the Salem State Vikings. 

Super-senior forward Mati Cano continued on Tuesday to terrorize defenders, putting in two goals within the first 10 minutes —  leaving the Jumbos ahead early.

Salem State fired back in the 27th minute, however, when a rare defensive mistake by the Jumbos allowed a Vikings attacker to get into space in the center of the box and put a shot past first-year goalkeeper Erik Lauta. This was only the second goal Lauta had conceded in five games. The Jumbos, on the other hand, have scored 13 goals on the season.

Nonetheless, the Jumbos’ offensive onslaught proved too much for the Vikings. Putting a total of 20 shots on goal, Salem State’s back line was busy all night. Super-senior midfielder and co-captain Calvin Aroh and senior defender Ian Daly both picked up their second goals of the season, while senior defender Aidan Welsh put in his first to close out the night.

On Saturday Tufts dominated as well, dismantling Brandeis 4–0. The Jumbos’ attack came out firing in the first half, putting nine shots on goal. Cano continued his impressive start to the year, adding two goals and an assist. Just three minutes into the first half Cano put in the opening goal for the Jumbos, assisted by super-senior midfielder and co-captain Derek Enge. Cano then assisted graduate midfielder Travis Van Brewer for a goal in the 20th minute to put Tufts up 2–0.

Despite more of an offensive effort from Brandeis in the second half, the Jumbos' back line held strong, a common theme to start the season. The Jumbos registered their third clean sheet in five games against the Judges. Cano bagged another goal just two minutes into the second half, assisted by junior forward Sean Traynor. The Jumbos topped off the scoring on a goal by sophomore forward Mikey Brady, assisted by first-year midfielder Ethan Feigin

“I’m really happy with the win, and it capped off a great performance that we’ve been working towards for the past couple of weeks,” Feigen said. “I’m hoping to contribute even more in the coming games, but the most important thing is winning games and we work incredibly hard each and every day to do so.”

The connection in the 84th minute marked the first collegiate goal for Brady and first collegiate assist for Feigin.

“It was a huge relief … since the first day I stepped on campus last September, I had been waiting to put that first goal in the net,” Brady said. “I want to take advantage of every game and every minute I’m on the field, so I’m very happy to have gotten number one down.”

For Brady, the start to the season has been thrilling, seeing significant field time in an attack full of older role models and prolific scorers like Cano.

“I’m super happy that I have been able to play so much this far and I try to go out and give everything I have whenever I’m on the field,” Brady said. “Playing around guys like [Cano], [senior midfielder] Zach Seigelstein, [Traynor] and [Van Brewer] — it’s hard to not be successful.” 

The wins over Brandeis and Salem State keep the No. 1 ranked Tufts Jumbos undefeated going into a weekend battle with NESCAC foe Colby on Saturday in Waterville, Maine