Field hockey outscores opponents 18–1 in first 4 games

Tufts field hockey has gone undefeated in its first four games of the season.

Returning to competition for the first time since 2019, Tufts field hockey kicked off its season against conference foe Williams at Ounjian Field on Sept. 11. The Jumbos entered the match ranked fourth in the nation, while the Williams Ephs ranked 10th in the National Field Hockey Coaches Association's preseason poll. Now four games into the 2021 season, the Jumbos boast a perfect record of 4–0, outscoring their opponents with an impressive 18–1.

The Tufts Jumbos faced the Wesleyan Cardinals at home for their second NESCAC game of the season on Tuesday. The Cardinals were 2–2 overall and 0–2 in NESCAC playon the season coming into the game. The Jumbos were the favorite in this matchup — and certainly played like it — earning a thrilling 7–0 win in front of an excited home crowd. Senior forward Claire Foleycontributed to five out of seven of the Jumbos’ goals, scoring four and assisting one. Other remarkable performances included senior forward Gillian Roeca, who had three assists; first-year forward Kylie Rosenquest, who scored her first collegiate goal; and all three Tufts goalies who kept Wesleyan scoreless.

On Saturday, the Jumbos earned another high-scoring win against the Endicott College Gulls, with a final score of 6–1. The Jumbos dominated with an incredible performance from super-senior co-captain Beth Krikorian, who had a hat-trick and scored three out of the six Jumbo goals. This was her second career hat trick.

“We passed really well and just played our game the whole 60 minutes," Krikorian said. "Everyone did a great job and it was a great team win.”

Following her performance, Krikorian was named a Tufts Athlete of the Week. The single goal scored by the Gulls has been the only goal scored against the Jumbos thus far this season, a remarkable feat considering the team has now played four times this year.

Tufts faced local foe MIT at night on Sept. 14, defeating the Engineers 4–0. The Jumbos got off to a strong start, scoring three goals in the first half while keeping MIT to zero shots. The three goals were scored by senior defender Melissa Manzello, senior midfielder Marin Waddington and senior midfielder Sophie Schoeni. Krikorian added a goal for the Jumbos in the second half, capping off another solid victory for the Jumbos.

“MIT was great competition," sophomore forward/midfielder Lainie Pearson said. "They always give 100% and were super fun to play against. We have been putting in the work at practice and I think it is showing on the field. We won as a team, and that’s what we need to continue to do for the rest of the season.”

In their first game of the season, both the Jumbos and the Ephs fought hard from the start, resulting in a scoreless first half. With just over six minutes left in the third quarter, first-year forward Claire Gavin, in her collegiate debut, scored the only goal of the game.

“I was very impressed by Williams’ level of play during the game, so getting the opportunity to play was already a very surreal moment for me," Gavin said. "The goal happened so quickly, but it felt amazing to have the girls congratulate me on the field. I am so happy that I could contribute to the game and that we had a positive outcome for our first home game.”

Gavin's goal undoubtedly propelled the Jumbos to a strong finish, allowing them to defeat the Ephs 1–0. The win also came from key performances by junior goalie Sam Gibby and senior goalie and co-captain Andie Stallman —  who combined to hold the Ephs scoreless in 60 minutes of play.

With four games under their belt, the Jumbos look to continue to build on their early success during their first away game against NESCAC opponent Colby College this Saturday.