Jumbos prepare to repeat 10-0 NESCAC season

2016-11-06-Volleyball-vs-Middlebury-170931
(Evan Sayles / The Tufts Daily)

The Jumbos hope to build on their momentum from last season as they prepare for their first game on the road on Wednesday. Last season, Tufts posted a 27–4 overall record, including a 10–0 regular season in-conference, and won the title of New England’s best team after defeating Springfield College in the NCAA regional final.

The Jumbos were powered last season by strong defensive play from sophomore libero Kelly Klimo and senior captain and defensive specialist Alex Garrett, as well as their dynamic duo of middle hitters Elizabeth Ahrens (LA ’17) and McKenzie Humann (LA ’17). Ahrens and Humann were second and fourth on the team in kills respectively and both converted their attempts into kills just above a third of the time.

"Elizabeth and Mckenzie were very unique individuals who brought a lot to the team, so this year every returner is going to have to work hard to fill the space they left," Sophomore middle hitter Christina Nwankpa said.

Their graduation leaves two large holes in the middle positions for Tufts, and the burden to fill them will likely fall on sophomore or first-year players. Sophomore middle hitter Heather Holz filled in last season while Humann was sidelined with an injury at the end of the year. Holz was effective in the role, recording nine kills and four blocks in the team's final match, so she will likely get the first chance to fill the spot again this season.

The team's leadership also turned over and Garrett, as the sole captain, has an important role to play in mentoring the younger players.

Tufts' regular season and its run to the NCAA elite eight was the most success the volleyball team has enjoyed since the 2009 season, when they also made it to the elite eight.

Tufts played a close match against Southwestern (Texas) in its elite eight match, falling in five sets. Despite the loss, coach Cora Thompson has a lot to be excited about going forward. Her team played with four first-year and two sophomore players on the court for extended stretches of time in the NCAA tournament. All those players return to the team this season. That strong base plus the new recruits leaves Tufts with a lot of versatility and flexibility to try out many different lineups.

Despite their success last season, the Jumbos won’t be satisfied with the same results again this year. They hope to capture the NESCAC Championship after last fall's close loss. After strong wins against Conn. College and Bowdoin in the NESCAC Quarterfinal and Semifinal, Tufts fell to Middlebury in five sets in the NESCAC final; the only blemish on their otherwise perfect record against the conference. Tufts beat Middlebury earlier in the season on Oct. 8 in another five-set match and was favored to win the NESCAC finale entering the contest.

The Jumbos are ranked No. 19 in the preseason AVCA coaches' rankings for all of Div. III. They are ranked No. 1 in New England, and are expected to defend their title as best team in the region.

Coach Cora Thompson explained that she doesn't place too much stock in preseason rankings.

"As I have said for years, polls don’t pass balls or play defense," Thompson told the Daily in an email. "Every season is a new one and although we are honored to be mentioned, it is a coaches opinion poll and ultimately means nothing."

Tufts adds four new players to the roster this fall with three first-years and one sophomore transfer. While the first-years are all hitters, sophomore transfer Maddie Clay is a defensive specialist adding depth to the position with five defensive specialist players on the roster.

"We are all working hard to integrate the freshmen so we can be at full strength as soon as possible," Nwankpa said. "We want to be better than we were last year."

Tufts travels to take on Clark University on Wednesday before hosting a trio of schools at the New England Invitational this weekend. The team's first in-conference game is at home in Cousens Gym against Bates College on Sept. 15. The Bates match is closely followed by a home match against Colby on Sept. 16.