Tufts sweeps MIT in last regular season regatta

2016-04-16-Crew-112
The Tufts crew team rows against Middlebury College on Malden River on April 16, 2016.

The Jumbos saw a great deal of success in the spring racing season. In its final regular season regatta, Tufts traveled to Cambridge, Mass. for the MIT Lightweights. There, the Jumbos swept the Engineers, going 3-0 in their races on the day, finishing up a successful regular season.

Prior to the MIT regatta, Tufts went 6-4 during the Brown Cup on Lake Quinsigamond in Worcester, Mass. where the team raced against Worcester Polytechnic Institute, Clark University, William Smith College and Skidmore College. Perhaps the highlight of the regatta was the first varsity eight winning their only race of the day, thus retaining the Brown Cup.

The first three regattas of the spring season were hosted by the women's team on the Malden River. The most recent of the three was on April 15 where Tufts went 1-5 against Bates, Wesleyan and Wellesley.

The first two spring races saw the Jumbos take home first-place finishes.First, the team beat out Trinity, Coast Guard and Simmons, and then saw another first-place finish against NESCAC rivals Middlebury and Amherst.

Graduating senior tri-captain Haley Cohen attributed the team's success to its drive to succeed.

"Something our coaches tell us is, 'There's always another level,' meaning there's always something we can do to get better," Cohen told the Daily in an email. "This year, we've really taken this to heart and have dedicated ourselves to reaching those next levels."

She also praised the hard work of the coaches.

"Coach Brian [Dawe], Coach Rachel [Schlosser] and Coach Ryan [Flood] have pushed us past our comfort zones and made us the best we can be," Cohen said.

As a graduating senior, she is proud of how herself and her teammates have grown throughout her time as a rower.

"I think I have made incremental progress and look forward to continuing to row after college," Cohen said.

The Jumbos participated in the New England Championships, which concluded on May 6. The first eight finished fifth in the event, after taking second in their initial heat. Ultimately, the team fell behind Bates, Wesleyan, Williams and Wellesley, and defeated UNH in the six-team final.

The Jumbos' second boat took sixth in the final race, finishing 11 seconds behind the Ephs' fifth-place boat.

The team still has the NCAA Championships to close out the season.

According to graduating senior tri-captain Natalia Kastenberg, the Jumbos are excited and ready to compete on the national stage.

"Team morale is high," Kastenberg said. "The team is encouraged by our results this spring and is excited to see how we can build off of them in the future."

The NCAA Championships will take place in West Windsor, N.J. on May 26.