Senior Profile: Matt Rohrer

2017-05-09-Commencement-Portraits-II-020
Graduating senior diver Matt Rohrer poses for a portrait at the Tufts pool on May 10.

“Four years really flies by,” graduating senior tri-captain and standout diver Matt Rohrer said. “I couldn’t be happier with the team this year. I wouldn’t have wanted to go out with any other group."

Rohrer is perhaps one of the most accomplished Jumbo athletes in the class of 2017. He has been competing for the men’s swimming and diving team for his entire four-year career at Tufts. During his time as a Jumbo, he has earned honors in the NESCAC and on the national level.

He helped lead his team to four top-four finishes in the NESCAC. The Jumbos finished fourth in the NESCAC in his first two years, second in his junior year and third in 2017. Rohrer was named to the NESCAC all-conference team every year of his four-year career.

Rohrer believes his consistency across his career can be attributed to his experiences as a first-year diver.

“Everything kind of started my freshman year, and from there I couldn’t let myself do anything but [get] better,” he said. “Having Johann [Schmidt (LA '14)] to look up to helped push me and set the foundation for my success in later years.”

Rohrer also qualified for and participated in the NCAA championship meet, or 'nationals,' in each of his four years as a Jumbo. He participated in the one-meter dive and the three-meter dive every year.

In those competitions, Rohrer earned All-American honors six times to go along with two All-American honorable mentions.

“Coming into college, I didn’t have a real understanding of what it meant to go to nationals,” Rohrer said. “Just making it to that competition four years in a row is beyond what I had imagined I’d be able to accomplish. I had also never dove the three-meter before I got to Tufts. To then be a three-time All-American on that board is just mind-blowing to me.”

As his career comes to a close, Rohrer believes that he’ll remember his time with his fellow divers for years to come.

“Diving at Tufts is a unique experience,” he said. “We don’t have a pool [to dive in] here so we have this added time together traveling to and from MIT every day. We are our own little subset of the swim team. Those guys are my best friends.”

After graduation, Rohrer plans to teach diving over the summer in his hometown of Katonah, N.Y. He then hopes to take the LSAT and eventually attend law school.