On the Spot / Outside the Boot: What a year

What a year it’s been. From Chelsea's meltdown to Leicester's meteoric rise, it's been a magical year. Thankfully it continues in the summer with the various regional tournaments. We've taken some of your questions and added our own as we look back at yet another amazing season.

Best Moments of the Season

Ryan: Jamie Vardy’s record breaking goal against Manchester United. With a goal in his 12th consecutive game, he broke a record which had stood since 1932. Not bad for a player who was working at a local factory earlier in his career...

YJ: That, and just the rise of the underdogs — Leicester, West Ham and Tottenham. It’s been a refreshing change.

Other Off-field Moments

Ryan: My favorite off-the-pitch moment is a Claudio Ranieri quote. After being asked what he got his squad for Christmas, he responded, "From the beginning when something was wrong I've been saying: 'Dilly-ding, dilly-dong, wake up, wake up!' So on Christmas Day I bought for all the players and all the staff a little bell, just as a joke.”

YJ: And dilly-ding, dilly-dong, they’re Champions. LVG's flop was hilarious — it was about time he showed some emotion. Jose's outburst against his players and medical team comes a close second. The start of a long downfall.

Biggest disappointment: Hazard, Sterling or Memphis?

Ryan: For me it has to be Hazard. To go from Player of the Year to not scoring a goal until Gameweek 34 is an absolute failure. Sterling hasn't shown the consistency expected with his £50 million price tag, but at least he can say he is City’s leading goalscorer in the Champions league. Memphis has been a big disappointment as well but at least he has the excuse of moving to a new league. Hazard has no excuse.

YJ: Hey, at least he won Leicester the title — two king-making moments in a row. I think it’s Sterling. You can’t have that price tag on your head and be an abject disappointment with finishing and decision-making all season. If I had my way, he would not be on the plane to France.

LvG in or out? Who should worry more for next year — Man U or Chelsea?

Ryan: For me, LVG should walk. His sides have been mediocre at best since he joined United. I think Chelsea will be aggressive in the transfer window. I predict that they will buy Real Madrid's James Rodriguez — and will bounce back well next year with Antonio Conte at the helm. Not so sure about United.

YJ: Same. When you’ve spent close to $500 million and still say expectations are too high you’re clearly clueless. United should worry more — especially if van Gaal remains in charge. Chelsea will strengthen vastly this summer.

Best and Worst Signings of the Season

Ryan: The worst's Chelsea's Falcao. His days as a world-class striker are now a distant memory and any notion of him reviving his career at Chelsea was squashed with his performances this year. One goal, zero assists in 15 appearances.

As for the best, Dimitri Payet. He has been the catalyst to West Ham’s rise this season, dazzling with his incredible free kicks and dribbling skills. In 28 games this season he has scored nine and assisted 10 for West Ham.

YJ: I just cannot see Leicester winning the title without N’Golo Kanté. He has been all-action covering almost every inch of grass. But you're right though, Falcao’s stock has just fallen tremendously. Although you could probably just dump the entire Aston Villa squad list and just pick a random name out and you’d still probably get your pick for Worst Player of the Year.

Best Goal

Ryan: Dimitri Payet and Riyad Mahrez have received plaudits for breakout players this season, but Dele Alli has to be in the conversation as well. He scored some brilliant goals this season, but none were better than his two-touch over-the-shoulder control and volley past Crystal Palace’s Wayne Hennessy.

YJ: Harry Kane’s goal against Arsenal epitomized Pochettino’s work-rate, chasing down a lost cause, before showing his strength, pace and finesse to curl a shot from outside the box.

Most-improved player

YJ: Pochettino’s gotten the best out of Mousa Dembélé and Kyle Walker; they’ve been crucial both offensively and defensively in getting Spurs to their highest ever League finish.

Ryan: This may seem like a strange one, but my most improved player is Bacary Sagna. Last season he was on the fringes of the Man City first team, appearing in just nine games, but this season he has been a rock in defense. He has started in 25 games and even has three assists to his name.

MVP

YJ: David de Gea. I may be biased here, but this guy’s been tremendous this year for United. Imagine where they’d be without him. And Rashford’s goals saved van Gaal’s career.

Ryan: Mahrez has been nothing short of incredible all season. He has scored 17 and assisted 11 this season and has been the central figure to Leicester’s success this season. He was rightly awarded the PFA player of the year and is my MVP. The reported £400,000 transfer fee is looking like the biggest bargain ever.

What are the odds that Sunderland will be next season's Leicester?

Ryan: 1 percent. Effectively there is no chance. But with the new TV deal coming into effect next year, don’t be surprised to see more parity in the League in years to come.

YJ: Nowhere. This is not going to happen again next year — the moneybags won’t allow it. You can bet that the big boys will spend HUGE this summer to ensure that doesn’t happen again. Even Ranieri knows that. They're offering 5000/1 for Burnley though.

Pivoting to next season, what are you most looking forward to?

YJ: I really don't want to say this, but I'm almost scared of Liverpool next season. Klopp's arrival has energized them, and believe you me, he'd find exactly the right players to plug the gaps.

Ryan: What I’m looking forward to most about next season is the new dynamic among the top clubs. Two clubs have already confirmed new managers in Pep Guardiola for Man City and Antonio Conte for Chelsea, with Jose Mourinho heavily linked to United. With so many big personalities already in the Premier League, next year should be even more exciting.