Flashes of Brilliance: A free play for Rodgers

Quarterbacks are shackled with the unsavory task of toeing the line between being too cautious and too reckless and aggressive with their attempted passes. A quarterback that checks down too often, such as Alex Smith of the Kansas City Chiefs, is derided as a “game manager”  someone who is capable of supervising an offense, but without the otherworldly ability to carry a dynamic one on his own. Meanwhile, “gun-slinging” quarterbacks such as Jay Cutler and Matthew Stafford are regarded by the football public as unreliable; infuriating interceptions at inopportune times are sadly their lasting legacies. The midpoint of these extremes is where transcendent, franchise quarterbacks can be found; Tom Brady, Peyton Manning and Ben Roethlisberger manage to remain aggressive and prolific without prohibitive interception totals or unwarranted gambles.

There is one play in football that eliminates all need for caution and invites with it a proclivity for electrifying highlights. When a quarterback successfully lures the defense offside, he is allowed to complete the play without any negative consequences; the offensive team can decline the penalty and accept any positive result or, if the play is unsuccessful (if the quarterback is sacked, throws an incompletion or interception), the team can elect to accept the offside penalty and negate the unsuccessful attempt. Because there is practically zero danger for a quarterback in this situation, he will often attempt a pass that he would not have without the 5-yard contingency plan.

Aaron Rodgers, the most complete quarterback I have ever had the pleasure of watching, is the most prolific beneficiary of this free play in the NFL. First, Rodgers uses a variety of pre-snap deceptions to get the defense to prematurely cross the line of scrimmage. When he sees a defensive player jump offsides, Rodgers will immediately alter the play. He will signal to his wide receivers, letting them know that they must diverge from their pre-assigned routes and find their way deep down the field. While his targets are traveling a sufficient distance to test his arm strength, Rodgers demonstrates his preternatural freelancing abilities. He performs a football version of a bob and weave; his entire body moves in slight and subtle ways to avoid the massive men attempting to bring him to the turf. His footwork is unrushed yet jittery, portraying the composed confidence that characterizes his pocket presence and public persona, and the frenzied agility that separates him from other bazooka-armed signal callers. If the pocket collapses, Rodgers will locate an escape route and roll out towards the sideline. As there is no consequence to an interception on this play, the right arm of Rodgers, already a weapon feared by 31 NFL teams, captivates attention in a magnetic way. Opposing linemen chase Rodgers, but they will not arrive in time. He sets his feet, pinpoints a Packer 40, 50 or 60 yards away, and unleashes an optimistic and inevitable spiral. Rare is the time in sports where a generational talent is free to improvise so recklessly while remaining completely in control.