Jumbos split weekend matches, 2-2

2013-11-25-Squash-Practice03
The Tufts women’s squash team, seen here practicing at Belmont Hill in 2013, lost to St. Lawrence and Dickinson this past weekend but beat Haverford and Conn. College.

This past weekend was a busy one for the Jumbos, with three matches on Saturday and another on Sunday, all of which were on the road. Tufts did not get off to a great start, losing 6-3 to both St. Lawrence and Dickinson. However, the Jumbos bounced back, with a perfect 9-0 victory over Haverford later that day. The team carried its momentum into the next day, winning 7-2 against Conn. College, bringing Tufts to an even .500 record on the season, 4-4.

Senior captain Paget Stanco commented on the win against Haverford, noting the team’s remarkable energy in the last matchup on Saturday.

“The 9-0 sweep over Haverford has to do with the pure energy we brought to the courts,” Stanco told the Daily in an email. “This match provided the bottom half of our ladder the opportunity to compete, and they really brought the energy needed for the win.”

The first two losses of the day were disheartening, as Tufts was evenly matched with both St. Lawrence and Dickinson. However, as first-year Zarena Jafry said, the Jumbos did not let the losses get them down.

“St. Lawrence was a really strong team,” Jafry said. “They did play better, up and down the ladder. It stung a little, but both teams played well. We had some tough matches that didn't go our way, but they were good matches in the end, and we didn’t let the losses get to us.”

Jafry, who was named NESCAC Women’s Squash Player of the Week in November, also went on to note that the team’s third game of the day, the 9-0 win against Haverford, was its best.

“Although we had had two matches earlier in that day, I think that can sometimes work to your benefit,” Jafry said. “You're more conditioned to playing matches, and you're more warmed up. I think everyone was just ready to shake off the two losses and end the day on a good note.”

Stanco is the only senior on the team and the team’s captain. According to Jafry, Stanco has been an excellent role model for the team’s eight first-years.

“[Paget] plays at the top of the ladder, and she is always there during practice to motivate us," Jafry said. "She's a very good team leader."

Stanco understands and takes seriously this responsibility to set an example for the team’s younger players.

“As captain, my example is always important," Stanco said. "With such a young team, every player looks to me for the answers. I also try my best to lead through example in the way I play and [in] the attitude I have on court. I have had a lot of incredible coaching throughout my squash career, and I feel obligated to help out our players as best as I can with all I know about the game.”

The Jumbos will not have another match until Jan. 23. The team will hardly be taking a break over the winter vacation, however, as they plan to use their time off to prepare for the rest of the season.

“I don't think the break will be a disadvantage,” Jafry said. “I think [that] most of the players will take advantage of it and [that] we'll come back that first week pretty well conditioned to get right back into the rhythm of things.”

After the break, the squash team will they travel to South Hadley, Mass. to take on William Smith and Mount Holyoke in a double header.