Beating bye week blues

Coming off Week 6 and going into one of the more painful bye weeks, this is a perfect opportunity to evaluate some flex and replacement options for Week 7. The Packers, Broncos, Bengals and Bears -- three offensive powerhouses (and da Bears) that boast a bounty of every-week fantasy starters -- have the week off.

The Packers are an interesting case because there appears to be a changing of the guard, or at least a time-share, in the making at running back. James Starks, a six-year veteran who has played his entire career in Green Bay, exploded for 112 yards and a touchdown on just 10 carries. He also caught a five-yard pass for a touchdown. I'm still not convinced Starks is anything more than a change-of-pace complement to Eddie Lacy, who thus far has looked uninspiring.

Obviously owners will miss Aaron Rodgers in Week 7. You might be surprised to learn, however, that Andy Dalton leads quarterback scoring through Week 6. Jay Cutler is replaceable, and owners should not be rostering Peyton Manning in one-QB leagues at this point.  There are plenty of excellent QBs on the waiver wire.

Odds are, someone dropped Matthew Stafford in your league. "Hasn't he been awful this year?" you ask. Yes, he has! His last three opponents prior to Week 6 were Denver, Seattle (away) and Arizona. The list of quarterbacks that can play those three teams and satisfy mercurial fantasy owners is basically nonexistent. Stafford just demonstrated what he can do against a below average pass defense in Chicago, flinging four touchdowns and over 400 passing yards, and his schedule significantly improves in the upcoming weeks.

Carson Palmer gets a Baltimore pass defense that gave up 298 passing yards per game through the first five weeks.

Philip Rivers embarrassed the Packers' secondary and joined the 500-passing-yards-in-a-game club. His Week 7 opponent, the Oakland Raiders, have allowed 308.2 passing yards per game -- third worst in the league.

Owners will certainly miss the production of Broncos wideouts Demaryius Thomas and Emmanuel Sanders, as well as the Bengals' A.J. Green and Bears' Alshon Jeffery.

Potential bye week fill-ins include Arizona's John Brown, who flashed his breakout potential, almost breaking 200 receiving yards this week. Cleveland's Travis Benjamin has demonstrated an ability to turn his high usage into decent lines. If Martavis Bryant hasn't been claimed in your league, that is a crime against fantasy. A little deeper is Minnesota's Stefon Diggs, who is filling in for an injured Charles Johnson. Diggs has 216 yards in two games as a starter and could keep the starting job even after Johnson's return.

Tyler Eifert and Martellus Bennett are starting-caliber tight ends, and the position offers more depth this year than usual. Gary Barnidge continues to impress, though I'm a skeptic. Jimmy Graham may finally have gotten in sync with Russell Wilson. Greg Olsen performed his best Rob Gronkowski impersonation this week, and Julius Thomas flashed some potential for his new team. Charles Clay is a safe option for about 30 yards per game.

Ronnie Hillman may have separated himself from C.J. Anderson, but he did so just in time for the Broncos bye week, and it will be tough to trust him afterward. We may see more Danny Woodhead and Theo Riddick after rookie backs Melvin Gordon and Ameer Abdullah were benched following fumbling difficulties.