Rohrer leads divers again at NCAA Zones

Reiman-Dive
Sophomore diver Kylie Reiman ended her season at the NCAA Zone Qualifiers.

Claiming his second title in as many weeks, sophomore diver Matt Rohrer once again headlined the Tufts effort at last weekend’s NCAA Zone Qualifier meet in Springfield, Mass. Both the men’s and the women’s swimming and diving teams sent a diver to the regional championships, and Rohrer placed first in the three-meter competition and third in the one-meter out of the field of 20 divers.

Representing the women’s team at the meet, sophomore Kylie Reiman placed 22nd in the three-meter event and 25th in the one-meter.

With his first- and third-place finishes, Rohrer has once again qualified for the NCAA championship, which will be held in Shenandoah, Texas from March 18 to 21.In his national championship debut last year, Rohrer placed tenth off both boards.

“I don't think all of my dives were necessarily perfect, but I felt very consistent and consistency is what wins dive meets so I'm really proud of myself for that,” Rohrer said. “Going into the one-meter competition, I was already guaranteed a spot to NCAAs so I was pretty relaxed and didn't really feel like I necessarily had to put my all into the competition. But it's always good to practice in a meet atmosphere, so placing third while not totally in the meet mindset makes me really proud of myself and excited for what I might be able to do in the future."

For Reiman, the Zone Qualifiers mark the end of her season, as she will not be moving on to the NCAA meet. Still, she considers qualifying for the zone championships an accomplishment in light of what it took to get there.

“It was a challenging weekend to be sure,” Reiman said. “But I’m really proud of even being given the opportunity to qualify and compete in this meet. I came into the NESCAC championships earlier this month after a three-week foot injury and didn't believe that I would even be given a chance to continue on in my season.”

Reiman also noted that she had to contend with sickness -- possibly a stomach virus or food poisoning -- while competing in the one-meter on Friday, yet she still managed to execute all of her dives and put up a 388.60 score.

At the women’s NESCAC championships Feb. 13-15, Reiman placed fourth in the one-meter and sixth in the three-meter.

“This season as a whole has been a wonderful roller-coaster,” said Reiman. “I came to NESCACs after an injury not expecting to place high, but I had faith in my training and surprised myself by qualifying for the zones meet ... I accomplished everything I wanted to and more this season, and I can’t wait to cheer for my teammate and close friend, Matt Rohrer, during the NCAA championship meet later this month.”

Rohrer will be looking to use the momentum he has built up with this weekend’s three-meter title -- as well as the previous weekend’s one-meter title and second-place finish in the three-meter at the men’s NESCAC championships -- as he competes against a national field.

“For NCAAs I really want to get one or two more dives with higher degrees of difficulties so that I can really contest for a spot in the top eight,” said Rohrer. “Right now, with my current dives, I could definitely make it to the top eight if I dive really well, but I think that with some harder dives I would have a little more wiggle room and a better chance at making it there.”

Rohrer could likely be the men’s top point scorer at NCAAs, and his performance will be critical to ensuring success for the team in Texas and in maintaining the Jumbos' prowess in the diving events.

“Honestly, just going to the meet itself is a big accomplishment for me and, while I would love to place top eight and dive really well, I'm gonna be really happy just competing with the best in the country and experiencing that kind of atmosphere,” said Rohrer.