Toronto and Memphis continue to top their respective conferences

s12314NBAPhoto
Memphis Grizzlies center Marc Gasol leads the MVP discussion.

The 2014-2015 NBA season continues to roll along as most teams get set to play their 20th game this week. 

Through 20 games, the Toronto Raptors are the clear front runners in the East, sitting a game and a half ahead of the second place Washington Wizards for the best record in the conference. Raptors point guard Kyle Lowry has scored consistently all season long and seems like a dark horse to win the MVP award. DeMar DeRozan's game has vastly improved, which could be attributed to his participation in the FIBA Basketball World Cup this past summer. Unfortunately for the budding star and his team, DeRozan tore his left adductor longus tendon last Friday against the Dallas Mavericks and currently has no timetable for his return to the court, according to ESPN.

The Washington Wizards continue to surprise in the East this season thanks in large part to point guard John Wall's numerous, superstar-caliber performances through the first month of the season. He has been aided throughout the year by center Marcin Gortat, who is averaging 13.4 points and 8.9 rebounds per game.

Another big surprise this week was the play of the Cleveland Cavaliers. The Cavs appeared to be in sync throughout the past seven days and will carry their three game winning streak into Milwaukee and New York this week. Cleveland currently has an 8-7 record, but after scoring 106+ points in three straight games, the team's offense is clicking. Consistency is going to be key for this Cleveland squad that is slowly but surely climbing the Eastern Conference standings.

Last and most certainly least, are the Philadelphia 76ers, who are having a nightmarish season, and currently boast an 0-17 record.  Not only is it the worst start in franchise history, but with just one more loss, the 76ers will tie the NBA record for most defeats to start a season.

In the Western Conference, things are a bit more interesting. The first place Memphis Grizzlies and sixth place Dallas Mavericks are only separated by two and a half games. The Grizzlies, winners of five straight games, are continuing to look strong, courtesy of their always ferocious defense.Tony Allen leads the way for the backcourt and has done an excellent job shutting down opponents' primary options, while Marc Gasol is able to put points on the board with his classic post moves and lethal mid-range shooting.

The Golden State Warriors are looking to dethrone the Grizzlies atop the West this week. The Warriors are currently on a nine game winning streak and sit just half a game behind Memphis. Stephen Curry had a dominant performance against the Miami Heat two days before Thanksgiving, scoring 40 points including eight three-pointers. He and fellow guard Klay Thompson have combined lights-out shooting with solid defense to lead the Warriors.

The Portland Trail Blazers and the Houston Rockets sit right behind the Warriors at 13-4, while on the other end of the spectrum, the always fascinating Los Angeles Lakers continue to struggle. Despite their struggles, the Lakers did show their tenacity in a shocking overtime victory at the Staples Center over the Raptors, the Eastern Conference leaders. The L.A. faithful were able to witness a vintage Kobe Bryant performance, as he recorded his 20th career triple double with 31 points, 12 assists and 11 rebounds. While a Lakers playoff berth is out of the question, any team with Kobe Bryant is always fun to watch.

With his stellar performance and his team's dominance, Marc Gasol has catapulted into the lead in the MVP discussion.Anthony Davis of the New Orleans Pelicans and Curry round out the top three most likely choices. Davis' 30-point and 13-rebound performance against the Wizards on Saturday proved that he has the ability to dominate on any night.