Jumbos drop both matches in season-opening tri-meet

s12214SwimmingPhoto
Junior Samantha Swinton competes in the butterfly in the Jumbos' 131-163 loss to Keene St. on Nov. 23, 2013.

The women's swimming and diving team got off to a strong start this year, winning three events in its season-opening tri-meet at Middlebury College on Nov. 22. Tufts also competed against Keene St. at the meet. 

"Overall, I was very pleased with our performances at the meet," coach Nancy Bigelow said. "I think everyone did well. People didn't give up and we were in just about every race, so that is a real positive. We also had six first places against Middlebury, which was an improvement from last year."

Though Tufts lost to both teams -- 163.5 to 135.5 against Middlebury and 162 to 138 versus Keene St. -- many Jumbos, including several first-years, delivered strong individual performances. First-year Kelsey Gallagher won the 200-yard backstroke with a 2:10.88 time after finishing second in the 100-yard back in 1:02.59.

"I was really excited about [the race] because I was right on my best times," Gallagher said of her performance. "I would be happy if I swam close to those times [at the upcoming MIT Invitational]."

"Kelsey Gallagher's 200 back was awesome," Bigelow added. "She has been working very hard, and it was nice to see her hard work pay off."

First-year Anna Kimura took the 100 butterfly by a nose, beating out Middlebury's Meg Griffin by 0.34 seconds. Kimura also contributed to the 200 medley relay, swimming the penultimate leg. Sophomore diver Kylie Reiman was the third Jumbo to score a first-place finish, winning the three-meter with 232.80 total points. Reiman nearly won the one-meter as well, but was edged out by Middlebury's Elissa DeNunzio 237.90 to 236.85.

Despite the close loss, Reiman was still pleased with her performance.

"I felt very good about my performance at the meet," she said. "I felt like I was on pace to be where I would like to be this time during the season. Everyone at the meet was very talented, and I was glad I was able to hold my own."

First-years Meghan Casey and Jess Lee also had strong debuts as Jumbos. Casey was the runner-up in the 100 breaststroke with a 1:09.60 time and also swam in the 200 medley relay. Lee finished third in the 50 freestyle sprint at 25.36 seconds and swam the opening leg of the 200 freestyle relay.

For Casey and her fellow first-year, the meet represented an exciting first step in their collegiate careers.

"I think the meet was a great opportunity for everyone to perform for the first time this season," Casey said. "While there were some great individual performances, as a whole I think the team stepped up, and we gave it our all, starting our official season off strong. It was exciting for me to see my teammates race for the first time. I am excited to see what the rest of the season can bring for us."

Senior tri-captain Kathryn Coniglio shined for Tufts, leading the team in four events. She finished second in the 100 freestyle at 54.50 and third in the 200 freestyle at just under two minutes (1:59.44). Coniglio also anchored both relays, swimming both the 200 medley and the 200 freestyle. Classmate and fellow tri-captain Amanda Wachenfeld was in top form as well, finishing third in the 1,000 freestyle with a 11:09.96 time.

Both tri-captains were impressed with their team's competitive spirit and results at the meet.

"I am very pleased with our team's performance at the meet," Wachenfeld said. "It was our first meet of the season, and I think the girls really showed how hard they have been working."

"We have a phrase that we use in practice: “No breaths, flags to finish,” and that’s exactly how we swam this meet," Coniglio added. "Everyone was in the pool fighting for points until the very end."

Tufts hopes to build upon its solid performance at this weekend's MIT Invitational, which begins on Friday and wraps up on Sunday. According to Bigelow, the Jumbos will use the meet as an opportunity to explore different events and improve their conditioning. With other teams resting, Tufts will try to take more early season strides.

"For the MIT Invite some people are trying new events so they can figure out what races to focus on this year, while others are just trying to swim their best times of the season," Bigelow explained.

"The MIT invite has traditionally been one of our biggest meets of the season, and I think as a team we are excited and ready to race," added sophomore Amanda Gottschalk. "Our main goal is to go into the meet with confidence and a competitive edge so that we out-touch our competition and post season-best times."