Tufts drops second straight game

s101414FootballPhoto
Tufts hopes to stay above .500 against Williams this Saturday.

Tufts played its second straight road game on Saturday, and despite having the lead at the end of the first quarter, the team returned home with a loss. The Trinity Bantams extended their home winning streak to 53 games in a 35-14 win over the visiting Jumbos.

The game started slowly, with both teams trading punts, but eventually the momentum swung in Tufts favor. Senior running back Zack Trause received Trinity’s third punt of the quarter at his own 18-yard line. The star returner initially eluded all of the Bantams’ defenders and nearly reached the end zone before being caught at the Trinity 5-yard line.

Following Trause’s 77-yard return, sophomore running back Chance Brady barreled into the end zone on 2nd and goal from the 4. Tufts led 7-0, but the lead did not last long. Junior wide receiver Ian Dugger returned the subsequent kickoff for the Bantams to the Jumbos’ 39-yard line.

Waiting for the Jumbos' defense was the NESCAC’s leader in total touchdowns, senior running back Chudi Iregbulum. He carried the Trinity offense throughout the game, rushing for 184 yards on 28 carries and reaching the end zone four times.

After Dugger’s return, Iregbulum pounded the ball to just outside the Jumbos' red zone, where junior quarterback Henry Foye then found Dugger for a 17-yard completion on 3rd and 14 at the visiting team’s 26. On 2nd and goal, Iregbulum scored his first touchdown of the game on a five-yard run.

The Jumbos' subsequent drive consisted of three straight incomplete passes, followed by a punt. Trinity’s next drive was a quick 67-yard one that only took two minutes and 40 seconds. Iregbulum had four carries tallying 27 yards, and his second touchdown made the score 14-7.

Tufts senior quarterback Jack Doll went 4-6 with 29 yards on the team’s ensuing possession, but on 4th and 2 at the Bantams’ 28, the signal caller was sacked for an eight-yard loss.

Iregbulum’s two massive runs on the next drive would help put Trinity up by 14. The senior busted by the Tufts defense on 2nd and 10 at the Bantams’ 36-yard line, and he was not taken down until he was well-inside Jumbos territory. After this 28-yard run, the home team’s offense began to sputter -- until 4th down. On 4th and 1 at Tufts’ 27-yard line, Iregbulum blew by the visiting team’s defense for the long touchdown.

An interception from Doll on the next drive would keep the score at 21-7 at the half.

The Jumbos' first drive of the 3rd quarter was a disappointing three-and-out. After a two-yard Trause run on 1st down, Doll was sacked on each of the next two plays, which led to a punt.

The Bantams started their next drive in favorable field position on the Jumbos' 45-yard line, and on 1st down, Foye found Dugger for a 23-yard completion. Consecutive Iregbulum carries brought Trinity down to the Tufts 8, where freshman quarterback Spencer Aukamp squeezed by the Tufts defense for the score.

The score remained 28-7 until Iregbulum scored his fourth touchdown of the day, just as the 4th quarter began. While Brady ran for a score on the very next Jumbos drive, the lead was already insurmountable, and Tufts left Hartford with a 35-14 defeat. The team will return home next week, where it is still an undefeated 2-0 on the year.

One of the Jumbos' biggest issues on offense was the fact that the team went 2-13 on 3rd down conversions. Defensively, one of the team’s biggest problems is its run defense which allowed over 200 rushing yards for the second week in a row.

“The Trinity defense was tough, but we have to overcome that," coach Jay Civetti said. "When we were down, we continued forcing plays. [In terms of run defense,] it will definitely be a point of emphasis in practice this week. Defensively, we need to really work on tackling in the open field."

“There is no question that we can [still] compete with any team in this conference," Doll said. "We still have a lot of confidence in our ability as a team. We have a great home field with tremendous student support, but all of our individual jobs [need to] remain the same whether we play at home or on the road."

The Jumbos will face the 1-3 Williams Ephs at home on Saturday.