Men's Soccer | Solid season ends in early exit from NESCAC tournament

The men's soccer team saw its season come to a devastating end last weekend in penalty kicks in the NESCAC Quarterfinals against Bowdoin. The loss brought an end to an up-and-down year that never saw the team reach its full potential.

The team was hot out of the gate this fall. After defeating NESCAC rival Bates 3-0 in the season-opener, Tufts returned home and trounced Suffolk 7-0 in their home-opener, and followed that performance up with a hard-earned 1-0 victory over Colby three days later. It was only the second time in 10 years that Tufts began the year 3-0.

But following the fast start, the Jumbos' momentum stalled. The team finished 5-5-2 in its last 12 contests. Marred by injuries on the frontline, the Jumbos' offense struggled to produce goals throughout the year, and the team as a whole played inconsistent soccer. In the team's first three wins, the Jumbos tallied an impressive 11 goals. In their final 12 games of the season, they were only able to match that number.

Nevertheless, this season ended with plenty of positives to take into the next. The Jumbos finished 8-5-2 en route to securing a top-four seed and home-field advantage in the first round of the NESCAC tournament.

"From being the first team to win at Hamilton in over a year, while playing a man down, to coming back from a two-goal deficit in the last four minutes against Bowdoin, I think our team really showed the heart that we have," senior tri-captain forward Scott Blumenthal said.

Tufts also boasted one of the best backlines in the NESCAC this season. Jumbo fans were able to witness the growth of freshman keeper Scott Greenwood, who will certainly be a focal point of Tufts soccer in the years to come. Greenwood recorded seven shutouts in his freshman campaign, which puts him in a four-way tie for second on Tufts' all-time list. He's also tied for the top spot on the all-time list for fewest goals allowed in a season, as the first-year conceded just eight goals in 13 games.

"It's been great to see how far he's come in such a short time," said sophomore midfielder Connor Brown. "We felt confident this whole season that our backline wasn't going to give up that much, and he has a lot to do with that. It's going to be great to have him in between the posts the next few years."

True to their character throughout the season, the Jumbos did not go down without a fight in their final showing at Kraft Field. Late defensive miscues led to two Bowdoin goals in the final 20 minutes of regulation, and seemed to doom the Jumbos' chances. But with less then 10 minutes remaining, and its season on the line, Tufts upped the offensive pressure, bringing the entire team up into the Polar Bears' zone, with the exception of just one defender. With the box full of players from both sides, junior midfielder Kyle Volpe was able to possess the ball, get a good look at net and deliver a strike past the Bears' keeper to cut the deficit to 2-1 with a little over five minutes left.

With the home crowd on their feet, the Jumbos looked to produce one last opportunity, and got their chance with a corner kick in the 87th minute. Sophomore midfielder Rui Pinheiro lofted a cross into the middle of the box, only a few feet away from the goal line. Amidst the chaos in front of net, sophomore forward Monil Patel found himself unmarked and delivered a headed ball into the back of the net for the equalizer. On their last gasp, the Jumbos had clawed back and forced overtime.

Neither team was able to break the deadlock in two overtime sessions, and it was left to a penalty shootout to decide the fate of the two squads. After the teams traded goals, Bowdoin goalkeeper Noah Safian made a great save on the Jumbo's second shot to give the Bears a one-goal advantage. Then, with Bowdoin already leading 2-1, sophomore Andrew Jones scored the decisive penalty kick to clinch the victory and send the Bears on their way to the NESCAC semi-finals.

The loss was especially tough to take for the Jumbos' six graduating seniors, who got to play their final collegiate game in front of the screaming home crowd. All six graduating seniors contributed to the rejuvenation of Tufts soccer over their four years. Prior to the 2011 season, Tufts had not finished with a winning record against NESCAC opponents since 2001. Since 2011, Tufts has boasted three consecutive winning records in the NESCAC, and the team has hosted first-round NESCAC games in 2012 and 2013. They have moved from the regular cellar-dweller of the conference to a force to be reckoned with and legitimate title contender.

"Coach Shapiro has always said how difficult it is to jump into the top of the NESCAC," Blumenthal said. "In my last two seasons, we finished in fourth place and established Tufts soccer on the national level. I think that, going forward next season, the team is ready to make that final jump into the top one or two in the NESCAC."

For all the seniors moving on, there are plenty of positive memories that will live on.

"My soccer career at Tufts will certainly be one of my favorite college memories," Blumenthal said. "Our home playoff win against Bowdoin last season and our team making the NCAAs for the first time in 16 years are two memories that really stand out for me. In general, playing with my brother for two years, and with some of my best friends, are things that I'll always remember."