Softball | Jumbos head into final weekend

After two wins in their Wednesday night doubleheader with Endicott, Tufts softball will wrap up its regular season with its final two series of the year this weekend.

The Jumbos kick off their five-game home stand with a non-conference doubleheader against Rhode Island College on Thursday. A sub-.500 team from the Little East Conference, RIC is scuffling at the moment, having lost seven of their past nine games. Tufts, on the other hand, has dropped just three games all season and shouldn’t have much trouble taking both games of the twin bill.

But that’s just the appetizer for a three-game set against Colby to conclude the season. After sweeping Bates, Bowdoin and Trinity earlier in the year, the Jumbos are a perfect 9-0 against NESCAC opponents and look to remain undefeated against the Mules. Tufts also needs only one win to clinch the division, and Colby is stumbling toward the finish line: Prior to winning their doubleheader against Southern Maine on Tuesday, the Mules had lost eight in a row.

Even so, the Jumbos will be playing for personal pride as they look to end their year on a high note. But Colby will have the added motivation of trying to prevent Tufts from going 12-0 in divisional play for the second straight season. The Mules get three chances to play the spoiler — one on Friday and two on Saturday — and will be looking to knock off the Jumbos prior to the playoffs beginning.

If the Jumbos want to go undefeated again, they’re going to have to earn it.