Men's Tennis | Tufts falls to No. 21 Bates

Feature-Image_Place-HolderPRESLAWN

After a spring break 4-1 record, the men's tennis team hoped to begin the main portion of a competitive NESCAC schedule with a strong performance. Despite their efforts throughout the lineup, the No. 21 Bates Bobcats managed to steal Saturday's match in Medford, 6-3.

Though the Jumbos were only able to win one of three doubles matches and two of the six singles matches, according to head coach Jaime Kenney, the outing was still productive on the whole.

"I'm really impressed with the guys' fight, and I think we're doing a much better job of keeping the pressure on and believing we're still in [every individual] match until the last point," Kenney said. "It speaks more to the fact that these players really know that we're right in there with these teams, and they're doing it for each other."

Freshman Rob Jacobson continues to make his mark in every match this season - he has not lost in brown and blue playing at the No. 6 singles and No. 1 doubles positions. Against Bates, Jacobson won his singles match against junior Eric Ruta 7-6 (6), 6-2, and, paired with senior Ben Barad, won his doubles match against No. 10 Rob Crampton/Matt Bettles, 8-5.

Jacobson said he has been able to maintain such strong play thanks to his coaches and doubles partner.

"I just try to really focus on the things that coach Kenney and coach Karl [Gregor] ask me to do, and take it one point at a time," Jacobson said. "I don't take anything for granted, and I just trust that the hard work I put in during practice will pay off in matches. So far it has, and I'm grateful for that."

Barad was also able to shine during the singles portion of the match, taking down Matt Bettles in a battle between seniors at the No. 2 spot. Though Barad dropped the first set 1-6, he fought back and won the next two in front of a sizeable crowd, 7-6 (4), 7-6 (5).

"I wasn't playing too well in the first set, as sometimes it takes me a little bit to figure out my opponent's game," Barad said. "But luckily I figured it out, got a few early breaks, and then was able to win the tiebreaks when he broke back."

The Jumbos started two freshmen in the singles lineup in addition to Jacobson, with Nick Telkedzhiev at No. 1 and Jay Glickman at No. 3. Though Telkedzhiev lost in three sets and Glickman in two to upperclassmen opponents, Barad noted that Kenney's ability to put together such a talented lineup across all classes will give Tufts an even better shot to succeed in the coming weeks.

"The goal is definitely to make and do well in the NESCAC tournament," Barad said. "We have a ton of new talent?and there aren't a lot of teams in college tennis where a freshman plays at No. 1, No. 3, and No. 6. The fact that we have so much young talent will help propel us to the tournament later this season."

The Jumbos clearly have the talent needed for the NESCAC Championships, but until May they will have to compete with some of the best schools in the nation in order to get there. Tufts will next square off against Div. I opponent Villanova this Friday at home, followed by Hamilton on Sunday, and then a pair of NESCAC foes the following week.

Throughout the month of April, Kenney's group will continue to focus on sticking to a daily routine, looking to improve towards that tournament along the way.

"I think the [players'] goals are to simply get better every single day, and along the way will be these strong teams [like Bates]," Kenney said. "If they're committed to getting better?it doesn't matter if it's Villanova, Middlebury, or an intra-squad match-they'll be ready."