Men's squash | Advani takes opening round win at Individual Nationals

Tufts freshman AdityaAdvani concluded the men's squash season this weekend at Trinity College, representing the Jumbos in the College Squash Association Individual Champions this past weekend at Trinity College.

After an impressive first season, marked by his ascension to the No. 1 position of Tufts squash and inclusion on the All?NESCAC second team, Advani was able to put his skills to the test against some of the best collegiate squash competition.

Competing in the Molloy (B) division, which includes the 33rd to 64th ranked individual collegiate players in the country, Advani put in a strong showing, winning his opening match against Dartmouth College's Christopher Jung, 11?6, 8?11, 11?8, 8?11, 11?8.

Advani then moved on to the round of 32, in which he played another highly contested match, this time against top seeded AbdelMaksoud from Columbia. After losing the first two sets 11?7, and 14?12, Advani came back to win the third set 9?11, before eventually falling in the fourth set 12?10.

This loss put Advani into the second round consolation, in which all sixteen second round losers were put into a new bracket. Against the lesser opponents, the freshman put on two consecutive impressive displays.

First against Princeton's David Hoffman, Advani breezed to a four set victory, winning 11?4, 11?6, 9?11, 11?8. Then facing Middlebury's Jay Dolan in the consolation quarterfinals, Advani won again, taking down the senior 11?8, 8?11, 11?4, 11?8.

Advani's run came to an end in the consolation semifinals, losing to eventual winner ZeyadElshorfy, a member of the Trinity College national championship winning squad. Advani was able to take one set, but eventually fell in four, 12?10, 11?5, 5?11, 11?5.

The loss ended Advani's highly successful season, in which he finished with a 19?7 record, the highlight of an otherwise disappointing 8?14 record for Tufts men's squash.

--