Women's Lacrosse | Tufts whacks Wheaton for third straight win

The women's lacrosse team continued its winning ways yesterday, demolishing Wheaton by a final score of 13?6. The win, the Jumbos' third in a row, lifts the team's record to 7?3 and will certainly serve as a confidence?booster for Tufts heading into its crucial road showdown with No. 11 Amherst tomorrow.

In dreary, rainy conditions on Bello Field, the Jumbos dominated the Lyons from start to finish. Senior tri?captainattackman Lara Kozin had six goals and three assists for Tufts, while junior attackman Kerry Eaton contributed four goals and two assists in the victory. Tufts' offense as a whole performed well for the third game in a row and has averaged 14.6 goals over that span.

The defense also stifled the Wheaton attack, holding the Lyons to just 12 shots while dominating the middle of the field. Although the defense was victimized during the team's midseasonthree?game losing streak, the squad has rebounded with three strong performances in a row against Endicott, Williams and now Wheaton.

While earning the midweek non?conference win was important for Tufts, the game served as a prelude to a huge NESCAC game this weekend. Tomorrow's matchup against Amherst will be critical in determining Tufts' place in the conference standings.

The Lord Jeffs are currently tied with Bowdoin for fourth place in the conference with a record of 4?3. Since the Jumbos have a conference record of 3?3, they would leapfrog the Jeffs in the standings with a road win tomorrow.

Amherst's strength lies in its defense, which has allowed the second?fewest goals of any team in the conference - the Lord Jeffs have allowed 46, while the Trinity Bantams have surrendered just 44.

But Amherst's offense ranks at or near the bottom of the NESCAC in several categories, including goals and assists per game. Even though they have not allowed more than nine goals in any conference game this season, the Lord Jeffs have struggled to conjure up the offensive firepower needed to win.

Regardless of the teams' specific strengths and weaknesses, both squads are sure to be motivated. The winner will have the upper hand heading into the stretch run of the regular season.