Ice Hockey | Murphy named NESCAC Coach of the Year

An historic season resulted in historic awards for the ice hockey team.

For the first time in his 14 seasons with the Jumbos, head coach Brian Murphy earned NESCAC Coach of the Year recognition after guiding Tufts to its best-ever finish in the conference standings.

The Jumbos finished fourth with a 9-8-1 conference mark and hosted a NESCAC quarterfinal game for the first time. They lost 4-3 to Williams in overtime.

Murphy is already, by far, the winningest coach in Tufts history, but this season the Jumbos finished over .500 for just the second time since 2000-01.

Much of that success can be attributed to the team's two All-NESCAC selections, sophomore forward Kyle Gallegos and senior tri-captain goalie Scott Barchard.

Though Barchard did not come close to replicating the success he enjoyed when he was named an All-American as a sophomore, he was still a steady force in net, accruing a league-high 817 saves to go along with a 3.01 goals against average.

Gallegos, meanwhile, was an offensive star all season long, finishing with a team-high 18 goals in just 19 games. His 27 points topped the Jumbos, and his 1.42 points per game ranked sixth in the NESCAC.

Across the rest of the conference, Amherst senior goalie Jonathan La Rose became the first netminder to be named NESCAC Player of the Year, boasting a league-best 1.51 goals-against average, a .943 save percentage that led the nation and a 16-1-1 overall record with five shutouts.

Bowdoin forward John McGinnis earned Freshman of the Year accolades.