Ice Hockey | An event of ice and fire, and greatness

The fire is metaphorical. Otherwise, the ice hockey team might have some problems. 

The athletics department's "Fan the Fire" initiative, which was successful in drawing fans to soccer and basketball doubleheaders during 2011, will kick off 2012 with a "Pink In The Rink" event this Saturday when the ice hockey team hosts Trinity at 6:30 p.m. in Malden Forum. 

Proceeds from a raffle—the winner of which will receive a special edition game shirt worn by the Jumbos during the game—will benefit cancer research and awareness. Specialized pucks will also be sold.

After winning the 47th-annual Codfish Bowl at UMass-Boston, Tufts fell in NESCAC action to Amherst 7-1 last weekend before rebounding with a 4-3 win over Hamilton, the second of four straight home conference games. The Jumbos currently stand at 6-6-1 overall and 4-4-0 in the NESCAC, good enough for a tie for fifth with Wesleyan.  

Trinity enters on the heels of a 1-0-1 weekend against Colby and Bowdoin, and boasts the reigning NESCAC Player of the Week in junior forward Chris Menard, who tallied three goals and four assists versus the Mules and Polar Bears. The Bantams are 5-7-1 overall and 2-5-1 in the conference. 

Upcoming "Fan the Fire" events will be held on Feb. 4 with the Tufts basketball and track teams. Two more have been planned for the spring season: March 31 with the softball and women's lacrosse teams, and on April 14 with the baseball and men's lacrosse teams.