A SECtarian national championship picture

If this week's BCS projections are correct, then the top three teams — LSU, Alabama and Arkansas — will all come from the same conference, creating one of the most interesting scenarios in recent memory.

With these programs at the top of the national rankings, this week's classic SEC West rivalry matchups between Arkansas and LSU and Alabama and Auburn will take on greater importance than ever, and likely will dictate which two teams will be playing on Jan. 9 in the BCS National Championship game in New Orleans.

But before examining all that, let's take a look back at which teams eliminated themselves from contention for the national championship with losses this weekend.

It all started with No. 2 Oklahoma State on Friday. The Cowboys began the college football weekend with what most expected to be an easy Friday night trip to Iowa State to face the 27−point underdog Cyclones. Oklahoma State, however, beat itself over and over again, committing five turnovers and missing what would have been a game−winning37−yard field goal with 1:17 left in regulation. Iowa State ended up winning in double overtime, shocking the Cowboys and most likely pushing them down to No. 5 or 6 in the BCS rankings. Oklahoma State no longer controls its own destiny and will need losses from at least two of the SEC heavyweights to reenter the national title picture.

What about No. 4 Oregon? Like the Stanford Cardinal, the Ducks quickly learned that USC fears nobody, as Lane Kiffin's upstart Trojans traveled to Autzen Stadium and shocked the Ducks, who were previously undefeated in Pac 12 play. With USC leading 38−14 and just 3:28 to go in the third quarter, the Ducks fought back furiously, scoring 21 unanswered points in just over 11 minutes. But the late push wasn't enough, as the Trojans' defense buckled down late to preserve a tough 38−35 road victory. Now, Oregon will most likely fall out of the BCS top five and will need a ton of help to return to its second consecutive BCS national championship game.

Moving on to No. 5 Oklahoma, many expected the preseason favorites to make a run up the BCS standings after losing to Texas Tech on Oct. 22. But the Sooners laid another egg and were bounced by No. 22 Baylor — a team they had not lost to in 20 meetings — in what may have been the biggest win in the history of Baylor football. Oklahoma simply had no answers for Bears junior quarterback Robert Griffin III, who has come out of nowhere to emerge as a serious contender for the Heisman Trophy. Griffin torched the Sooners' defense for 551 total yards and four touchdowns, leading Baylor to a 45−38 win that dashed Oklahoma's national title chances.

Finally, there is No. 7 Clemson, which would most likely have entered the BCS top five with a win over lowly, unranked NC State on Saturday. The Wolfpack, however, played their best game of the season and outscored the visiting Tigers 27−0 in the second quarter to take a commanding 24−point lead into halftime. Clemson turned the ball over four times and never seemed to find an offensive rhythm in an ugly 37−13 loss. Once 8−0, the Tigers are now 9−2 and will almost certainly fall out of the top ten and into BCS oblivion.

With so many losses from teams that were previously in contention for the national title, the stage has been set for No. 1 LSU, No. 2 Alabama, and No. 3 Arkansas to play themselves into the BCS national championship game. The Tigers, who remain unbeaten, could lose a game and still qualify for the championship, while the Tide and Razorbacks, who have both already lost once, will need to be perfect to make it to New Orleans.

In a sport that is notorious for its lack of a playoff system, Arkansas and Alabama will essentially begin their postseason this weekend with elimination games on the road against LSU and Auburn, respectively. A loss by either team would knock out its national title aspirations.

There are still way too many possibilities to talk about the BCS championship picture should Arkansas and Alabama both win. One thing is for sure, though: the college football world is centered somewhere in the southeast.

We just don't know whether Baton Rouge, La., Tuscaloosa, Ala., or Fayetteville, Ark. will reign supreme.