Women's Squash | New freshmen could surprise opponents

After losing its No. 1, 2 and 4 starters to graduation on the heels of a subpar9−16 season, the men's squash team's prospects might look bleak. But with the right mix of returning talent and young freshmen looking to prove themselves, the Jumbos hope they can turn things around this winter.

The newly christened veteran core will have to assume great responsibility, aiding in the transition of the newcomers, and the team will need to learn to coalesce. Despite the tough road ahead, however, head coach Doug Eng is bullish on his squad's future.

"Our basic skills are better this year than last year," Eng said. "So we could upset some higher−rankedteams."

Even without Alex Gross (LA '11) — a three−timeAll−NESCAC selection — at the one spot and Ben Rind (LA '11) at the two, the Jumbos' lineup is formidable thanks to an outstanding class of recruits. Freshman standouts Alex Nalle and Zach Schweitzer will likely take the reins at the one and two spots, respectively, with classmate Gordon Silverman solidifying the middle of the pack, and fellow first−years Hugo Meggitt and Elliot Kardon rounding out the starting lineup — a grand total of five rookie starters.

This influx of fresh talent marks the dawn of a new era for Tufts men's squash. Coach Eng believes that the Jumbos' potential will allow them to grow quickly and exploit unprepared opponents.

"Take advantage of youth and energy, to work hard and improve fast," said Eng, when asked about the keys to the season. "We can have a high learning curve and … have a surprise party for [our] opponents."

The new talent also may bring a change in reputation, as Tufts looks to build a program that is hampered by the lack of regulation squash courts on campus.

"If Doug can keep bringing in this type of talent for the next few years, the team will jump way up in the rankings," senior captain Henry Miller said. "[We can] easily break into the top 20, where we have not been for a few years."

The Jumbos begin their campaign ranked 27th by the College Squash Association, the same rank with which they concluded last season. They will look to improve upon their disappointing 1−6 conference record, as well as their 4−12 mark at neutral sites, which is particularly relevant given Tufts' inability to host matches.

Tufts will immediately face stiff competition, with No. 18 Bowdoin and No. 25 Stanford on the docket at the Harvard Round Robin on Saturday. Later in the season, on Jan. 27, the Jumbos will take on Bates and George Washington, which are ranked successively at 16th and 17th, in preparation for the NESCAC tournament.

"We have not been able to beat Bowdoin since I've been on the team, but we've been told a bunch of their guys are abroad, so this could be a huge opportunity for us to jump up in the rankings," Miller said. "We are expecting to beat BU … [but] Stanford is another huge match for us. We lost to them last year in a close match, and they are ranked two spots above us."

Although it's the players' responsibility to mesh and put in the practice hours necessary to attain success, they believe that Coach Eng has played a pivotal role in fostering their development.

"Coach Eng is a brilliant guy who knows a ton about squash and especially physical training," Kardon said. "I am confident that his leadership combined with the leadership of our captain, Henry Miller, will help us win some key matches."

This freshman cadre and its gung−ho coach have both voiced their optimism, but they're not the only ones. The same spirit dispensed by Coach Eng to his younger players has, in turn, trickled up to the upperclassmen.

"We're focusing all of our attention on this upcoming weekend," Miller said. "We're hoping to get some revenge on our ‘home courts.'"

Accordingly, Coach Eng put forth his mantra for this year: "Hard work, great attitude and never say die."