Football | Staying the course

Feature-Image_Place-HolderPRESLAWN

Things haven't changed for the football team. Energy has remained at a peak level, sparked at once by one final opportunity to remove the oval from the win column and optimistic promises of future seasons. Tufts is winless through seven games, but thoughts of games past seem to have been vaporized from the collective mindset. No, this is a team that, in spite of the hardships and the losses, is still approaching each day like a 0−0 squad.

When asked about the Jumbos' mentality following Tuesday's practice, senior tri−captain Luke Lamothe cracked a smile. Teams in this position — ones that haven't won since Sept. 25, 2010 — are expected to succumb to shades of frustration. It's human nature to second−guess the blueprint when execution has faltered. But the players keep insisting on the contrary.

"We haven't given up all season, we've worked hard, our effort and dedication have always been there," said Lamothe. "A win would just be the icing on the cake. We're 0−0 right now. That's our mentality. And I'd like to be undefeated for the rest of my life."

That one last crack for the Jumbos' 16 seniors will come on Saturday at home against 3−4 Middlebury. At this point, the opponent could be Medford High School or the New England Patriots. It wouldn't matter for a group of departing players that's already successfully repositioned the ship, a chance that coincided with Jay Civetti's promotion from his offensive coordinator position to interim head coach in January.

"I think it says a lot about the program and where we're headed and what we've built thus far," said Civetti, who had the interim tag removed on Oct. 27. "You can fall back on your energy and hard work up until this point, regardless of the scoreboard and of the record. You have a group of guys who come out and work like that? That's impressive. It gives me a little validation in what we're doing that these guys feel like their energy and their effort are appreciated."

There have, in fact, been flashes of success this season. Tufts held Trinity, one of New England's top teams, to four passing yards and just three second−half points in a 9−0 loss on Homecoming.

Last week, senior quarterback Johnny Lindquist, who has been battling a shoulder injury in recent weeks, directed a seven−play, 43−yard scoring drive at the game's outset that ended in a five−yard touchdown pass to junior wide receiver Mike Cresham. Senior linebacker Zack Skarzynski leads the conference with 13.1 tackles per game. Senior kicker Adam Auerbach is one field goal away from becoming the Jumbos' all−time leader.

Ask the players about gains made this season, and they'll point to a change in attitude, reflective across the board from offseason weightlifting sessions to gameday dress code.

"Last year, our offseason last year, our preseason this year, was about leaving our mark," Lamothe said. "We have made such great strides from years past, that our legacy will be this team and will be coach Civetti's program. A win, in terms of that, would be great, but what we've done since last January will be our lasting legacy."

But before Tufts can begin looking toward next season, Middlebury stands in the way as one last opportunity to score a win. The Panthers enter with the league's most prolific scoring (29.7 points per game) and passing (321.9 yards per game) offense. Quarterback McCallum Foote, a sophomore transfer from Brown, has thrown a league−high 19 touchdowns this season, or 11 more than the Jumbos have as a team.

It's a tall task for a team that's grown accustomed to uphill climbs in recent years, but one that hasn't shaken the Jumbos' confidence in the direction this program is headed.

"We're staying the course," Civetti said. "The future of this program is bright, and we're headed in the right direction. Today is a perfect example. Everything is going right, the way it should."