Jumbos take on Colby this weekend, looking for first victory of season

Feature-Image_Place-HolderWINTER2

Following a tough 30−0 loss to Amherst at home last week and a frustrating 0−6 start, the Jumbos are hoping that they can finally turn things around tomorrow when they face Colby on the Mules' home turf in Waterville, Maine.

One reason for optimism is the removal of the interim tag for head coach Jay Civetti. Tufts Director of Athletics Bill Gehling announced on Oct. 28 that Civetti will be the permanent head of the Tufts football program. This vote of confidence from the athletics department not only provides security to a coach who has faced the unenviable task of motivating and preparing a winless team, but also helps with recruiting and building the future of the football program.

"I think it brings great validation to our plan and our focus and where we're headed with this program," Civetti said. "It says a lot about the staff, it says a lot about the players in the program, and I think it says a lot about the commitment from this university, to understand that while our record is nowhere near where we want it to be, there is noticeable effort on the part of the players and staff and that we are getting better. Personally, it's just a great honor, and I'm very lucky to be able to have this opportunity."

Players fully supported putting Civetti at the helm of the program for the long haul. Having a stable coaching staff helps the team focus on the task at hand, rather than dealing with an uncertain future.

"It means a lot, and to see someone work from being offensive coordinator, to the offensive line coach, to interim head coach and then to head coach, it's pretty special to him," senior tri−captain Luke Lamothe said. "Personally, I think he's worked very hard and he deserves it. He's going to take this program somewhere where it's never been before."

Another reason why the Jumbos and Tufts football fans alike should be optimistic for the rest of the season is the fact that Tufts has just completed the most difficult portion of its schedule. Coming off three straight losses to teams with a combined 16−2 record, the Jumbos should have brighter days ahead. The rest of the Tufts season consists of games against Colby and Middlebury, who both stand at 2−4 thus far.

Tufts, however, should still expect stiff competition from Colby. The Mules have been hot lately, riding a two−game winning streak into Saturday's contest, including an offensive explosion against Bates last week, in which Colby put a season−high 37 points on the board.

The outpouring of offense can be attributed to two players in particular, both of whom Tufts should be prepared to counter in Saturday's game. Senior tri−captain quarterback Nick Kmetz has been extremely efficient passing the ball this year, and is a threat to run on any given play. This year has been just part of a successful collegiate career for Kmetz, who last week surpassed the 5,000 all−purpose yard mark, and is only 420 yards shy of 5,000 passing.

Kmetz's favorite target is a dynamic wide receiver by the name of Connor Walsh. Walsh, also a senior tri−captain, ranks among the top 10 in the NESCAC in both receiving yards and receptions per game, but that's not all he does. Last week against Bates, Walsh put on a dazzling display of offensive talents, throwing for a 26−yard touchdown — his second of the fall — catching a 64−yard touchdown throw from Kmetz and running one in for a score. Walsh's performance earned him the NESCAC Offensive Player of the Week award.

"Offensively, Connor Walsh has had a heck of a career … Nick Kmetz, the quarterback, that kid's just a winner; if you look at our game last year he made some amazing plays," Civetti said. "Walsh and Kmetz, those are two guys we have to keep an eye on."

In the 2010 game Civetti referred to, Kmetz threw for an impressive 392 yards and three touchdowns as the Mules completed a thrilling fourth−quarter comeback and won 42−41 at Zimman Field.

This matchup with Colby will be a big test for a Jumbos defensive unit that has shown glimpses of greatness, but lacked consistency.

"We're concentrating on stopping the run. Always defensively, [when we] stop the run, good things happen," senior tri−captain J.T. Rinciari said. "We're going to play fundamentally sound football, and just keep working hard like we've been doing."

Though the Jumbos are coming off a very frustrating loss to Amherst, they look at that game as a learning experience, and believe that they have ironed out the mistakes that put them in an early 21−0 hole against the Lord Jeffs.

"We can only improve after how we played last week. We didn't come out strong in the first quarter, or the first half," Lamothe said. "We picked up steam in the second half and did a little better, but we learned that you can't take any snap for granted, every snap counts."

Meanwhile, the issue of who will play quarterback for the Jumbos has been clouded with uncertainty, and it is unclear how that problem will be resolved this week. Senior Johnny Lindquist was the starter for the majority of the season, but was sidelined last week due to a separated shoulder. Junior John Dodds, sophomore Matt Johnson and freshman Jack Doll all took snaps in the loss against Amherst, with Dodds starting and getting the majority of the playing time. Dodds had a disappointing outing, though, throwing two interceptions and connecting on only 11 of 24 pass attempts.

Apart from finding continuity at the quarterback position, the biggest key to winning this week for Tufts will be to stop the run while containing the dynamic duo of Kmetz and Walsh. On offense, establishing the running game will set up play−action opportunities for the aerial attack, which are vital to success in Civetti's West Coast−style offense.

"From an offensive stand point, and really the whole team, we've shown that we can [play well] at times, but now it's time to draw the line," Civetti said. "It's time to execute and put together a complete game, one play at a time."