Men's Soccer | Disappointing weekend hurts Jumbos' NESCAC aspirations

It was a disappointing first trip to upstate New York for both the men's and women's soccer teams on Saturday. The women were held scoreless for their third straight match en route to a 0−0 draw with Hamilton, while the men lost in overtime for the first time this season, falling 2−1.

The men, who had not lost since Oct. 1, jumped out to an early lead on a 27th−minute goal by freshman midfielder Gus Santos. The goal was his seventh — good enough to tie him for third in the NESCAC. It looked like the goal would stand, but in the 79th minute a long pass fell loose in the box. Continentals freshman Griffin Abbott got to the ball first and slipped it into the back of the net, bringing the score even at one apiece.

The game moved on to overtime, a period in which the Jumbos were 3−0−2 coming into Saturday. But just a minute into the second overtime period Abbott struck again, running onto a pass in the box and sliding it into the left corner of the net, giving Hamilton the win.

The women's game had less action, though the Tufts defense helped the team escape with a point. Jumbos senior forward Jamie Love−Nichols had the best chance of the game, putting a shot on goal that sophomore keeper Liza Gergenti was able to deflect just enough to send it off the post. Much of the game was played on even footing: Hamilton held the shots edge 12−11, but Tufts forced Gergenti into eight saves while the Continentals only challenged sophomore keeper Kristin Wright seven times.

Both squads finish their regular seasons Wednesday at Bowdoin. They both have the chance to earn a home quarterfinal matchup next Saturday. Check tomorrow's Daily for complete coverage of the games.