Field Hockey | No. 13 Jumbos keep winning streak alive at Hamilton

In September, Hamilton field hockey looked to be a real contender in the NESCAC after posting a 2−1 victory over No. 7 Amherst. But on Saturday, the No. 13 Jumbos proved too much for the new conference foe and posted a critical 2−0 victory on the road over the Continentals. The definitive win secured a quarterfinal game on Bello Field in the quickly−approachingNESCAC Tournament and helped energize the team for Wednesday's showdown against undefeated No. 2 Bowdoin.

The game was an undeniably defensive battle with Tufts posting its two goals on just 10 shots and eight penalty corners. But Tufts' defense was stronger on the day, as the Jumbos allowed just one of each in the match. Senior goalkeeper Marianna Zak was challenged just once, as the Jumbos posted their sixth shutout of the season.

The offense was efficient with its chances. After battling with the Continentals for almost 25 minutes, junior forward LiaSagerman made good on a penalty corner off of sophomore forward Chelsea Yogerst's initial shot. The Jumbos went to halftime with the 1−0 lead and full control of the game.

After intermission, Tufts did not relinquish the momentum, and it took the Jumbos just five−and−a−half minutes to double their lead. This time, sophomore midfielder Emily Cannon lent an assist to junior forward Kelsey Perkins for the score. The goal solidified Tufts' dominance on the day as Hamilton continued to struggle. At the end of the game, the Jumbos celebrated their sixth straight win — a streak in which they have outscored their opponents 32−4 — and a rattled Hamilton squad left the field with its fifth conference loss in a row.

"It's always good to get a NESCAC win on the road, especially on such a long trip," Sagerman said. "Saturday was not our most offensive game but there are things we saw we can work from."

The Jumbos don't have much time to revel in their recent success. On Wednesday, they will travel to Maine for their annual clash with the Polar Bears, last year's national champions.

Since 2008, the Jumbos have won each of these season finales in dramatic fashion. The rivalry is intense, and an upset would undeniably spark the Jumbos heading into the playoffs; not only would they post their first victory over a top−10 team this year, but they would also greatly improve their chances for an at−large bid to the NCAA Tournament.

Despite their stellar streak, the National Field Hockey Coaches Association has held or downgraded Tufts each week since their season−starting No. 6 ranking. Sitting outside the top 10 with three conference teams above them, the Jumbos know that a NESCAC championship is a must, and, more than likely, they would have to go through Bowdoin to get it.

Wednesday's stakes are high, but Tufts has the tools to get it done. First, a defensive performance like Saturday's will be key against a gifted Bowdoin offense that will be at home on their fast AstroTurf. The Jumbos will have to work on defending the fast breaks that have caused their two losses this season. Tufts' five−midfielder system can create voids in the backfield when continued offensive pressure draws the lower line forward, and Bowdoin is nothing but opportunistic; the Polar Bears will capitalize on any major defensive breakdown Wednesday.

"We've been really working on recovering and communication, and we're improving and working on tackling before the 25 and the apron because we cannot let them in our circle," Cannon said.

On attack, Tufts will have to be opportunistic as well. Bowdoin's defense has allowed an average of just 4.73 shots per game from their opponents — and just 2.00 on goal. The Jumbos' offense, despite a league−leading average of 4.17 goals per game, has let too many would−be goals slip through their fingers this season and cannot afford to let good chances go to waste this week.

"Against Bowdoin, every shot we're gonna take could be a game changer," Sagerman said. "All the forwards are really working on their movement off the ball to help us be more effective in transition and be more of a threat against Bowdoin."

All eyes will be on Tufts on Wednesday. The NCAA will be looking for bid potential, and the NESCAC will be waiting to see if the Jumbos can keep their three−year streak alive and do what no one else has done in 2011 — beat the Polar Bears.

"I think it would be huge to have a win against them," Cannon said. "We always have a good game against them every year and a win would get us really pumped up heading into playoffs. But, we're just going to come out, play our game, play as hard as we can and give it all 70 minutes and, hopefully, we'll come away with a win."

"Wednesday is going to be a great opportunity," Sagerman added. "We believe we can be a championship team … and we just need to come out and show the top team in the league that we're a championship team, too."