Inside NFL| Riced and diced: Baltimore Ravens rout rival Steelers

During the NFL's Kickoff Weekend, no team made a louder statement than the Baltimore Ravens. By decimating the Pittsburgh Steelers, 35-7 on Sunday, the Ravens served notice to the rest of the league that they have big plans for this season, and even bigger hits in store to make them come to fruition.

Facing their bitter AFC North rivals for the first time since blowing a 21-7 halftime lead in last year's AFC Divisional Playoffs, the Ravens led Pittsburgh by that very same margin at halftime on Sunday. Unlike last year, however, Baltimore turned a 14-point advantage into a win, rather than a nightmarish blown-lead.

The Ravens, who did not turn the ball over in the second half, channeled aggressive play-calling by offensive coordinator Cam Cameron and first-year defensive coordinator Chuck Pagano to quite literally pound Ben Roethlisberger and the Steelers. Baltimore showed a marked advantage both at the skill positions and in the trenches.

Sunday's result provided the Ravens with their largest margin of victory over Pittsburgh in the 16-year history of the franchise, and marked the first Baltimore win over the Steelers in a game where Ben Roethlisberger has started at quarterback.

In addition to a strong statement and valuable momentum, the weekend's dominant performance also gave Baltimore a crucial first win against a divisional opponent, something that will almost certainly come into play when playoff seeds are decided late in the season.

But, more significantly, Sunday's result in Baltimore may have signaled a longer-term changing of the guard in the AFC North.

For years, Pittsburgh has seemed a step ahead of their rivals from Charm City. The Steelers are 3-0 against the Ravens in the playoffs and 14-9 overall since 2002. In the last 10 seasons, Pittsburgh has won the division five times while Baltimore has only won it twice.

Time and time again, Ravens fans have watched their team match the Steelers for most of the 60 minutes, only to see Pittsburgh make a crushing play at the crucial time to steal a late win.

In what many call the meanest and most physical rivalry in football, both teams were bloodied and battered, but most often, it was the Ravens who walked into the locker room beaten on the scoreboard.

The story could not have been any more different on Sunday.

Baltimore's offensive line controlled the Pittsburgh front, keeping quarterback Joe Flacco upright for nearly the entire game, and allowing him to feel comfortable in the pocket.

The line also opened up massive holes for running backs Ray Rice and new addition Ricky Williams to run through. The pair rushed for 170 yards, while Flacco, who was sacked only once, looked assertive, throwing for three touchdowns and no interceptions.

Pittsburgh's menacing outside linebacker duo of James Harrison and LamarrWoodley spent more time on the ground then they did in the Ravens' backfield, after offensive tackles Bryant McKinnie and Michael Oher repeatedly stymied their rush attempts.

The Ravens' defensive line was even more impressive. Defensive end Terrell Suggs made an early statement for Defensive Player of the Year, recording five tackles, including three sacks, and two forced fumbles.

Pittsburgh tackle Willie Colon seemed to give up late in the game, realizing that he simply lacked the speed or power to control Suggs's blitzing on the edge.

Veteran end HalotiNgata proved once again why many consider him to be the best defensive tackle in the league. Ngata looked nearly unblockable at times, even though Pittsburgh double-teamed him on almost every play.

Unlike most defensive tackles, Ngata is more than just a 330-pound bowling ball in the center of the line. A former rugby player, Ngata possesses unusual speed and athleticism for a man his size and gives the Ravens a unique pass-rushing option.

In recent months, analysts and fans alike have questioned why the Ravens released so many veterans who have had significant recent success in Baltimore. Derrick Mason, Todd Heap, Kelly Gregg, Le'Ron McClain, Josh Wilson and Willis McGahee were all dumped in favor of younger, albeit unproven, replacements.

Sunday's game, however, presented a stark contrast between the Ravens who look younger, faster, and more motivated, and the Steelers, who look older, slower and perhaps complacent following last year's AFC Championship.

That's not to say that Pittsburgh won't get right back into the thick of the AFC North race; history suggests it will.

But, for now, Ravens fans can rejoice in the fact that they appear to finally be division favorites, and the rest of the NFL must heed warning of this revamped Super Bowl contender.