Field Hockey | Field Hockey enters season ranked No. 6 in the nation

The women's field hockey team said some undeniably tough goodbyes in the spring. After the end of last season, the Jumbos were left with five holes in the starting lineup −− including their two leading scorers and a chunk of their penalty corner team. But the Jumbos are getting ready to debut a new squad with a lot of fresh faces ready to prove themselves on the attack, along with a backbone of veteran defenders.

Perhaps a new offense is just what this team needs. NESCAC opponents have focused on defending Tufts' all−time leading scorer and two−time Player of the Year Tamara Brown (LA ‘11) for the past three years, and by the end of last season, it began to look like they'd found Tufts' Achilles' heel. But this year the rest of the conference should have more trouble predicting who the passes are going to or who's going to take the shot.

"It's exciting because there's so many opportunities for people to step up," senior co−captain defender Taylor Dyer said. "The other team doesn't know who we are or what to expect from any one player. I think that will be good because it will be very difficult for them to take any single player out of the game."

One thing the Jumbos' opponents will try to take out of the game is Tufts' defense −− but that won't be easy. Three returning starting seniors will anchor the backfield. Marianna Zak will return in goal for her fourth season, boasting a 0.73 goals−against average from last year. Dyer, a returning All−American, and her left−side counterpart Sarah Cannon will be Zak's next line of defense and should continue to lead their teammates from the back line.

"Our experience playing together in the backfield is going to be really valuable to us," Dyer said. "Because we are really familiar with the system we play and where people are supposed to be, it will make it easier for people stepping into new roles and new positions." Moving up, Cannon's sophomore sister Emily will return to the midfield with the stick skills that earned her a starting spot as a freshman. Juniors Rachel Gerhardt−− who returns from the injured list after also earning the start as a rookie −− and Liza Wetzel and Kelsey Perkins will all join Cannon as experienced half−backs.

On attack, the lineup is more flexible. But there is no lack of talent to fill the offensive voids. All−New England senior co−captain midfielder Lindsay Griffith will return to her inner forward position with the field sense that made her an integral playmaker for the last two seasons. Juniors LiaSagerman, Kayla Murphy, Missy Karp and sophomore Chelsea Yogerst will also share time in front of the goal. Sagerman has consistently produced since her first year, and her speed will be an asset on the wing while Murphy will also contribute experience since returning from an ACL tear that cost her the spot in the middle of last season.

"I'm looking forward to a new style of play," Griffith said. "I think we became predictable in the last few years and new talent, new skills and new players are challenging us to develop a new system of attack. Hopefully it will work in our favor when we come out against our NESCACrivals."

On Saturday, Tufts will host the season opener on Bello Field and hope for revenge against the one team all of the Jumbos are focused on −− Middlebury. Last year, the Jumbos met the Panthers in their season opener, too, and came out handily on top 3−0. But the Panthers adapted and knocked out Tufts 3−2 in the second round of the NCAA Tournament, sending the Jumbos home before the Final Four for the first time in two years.

"We definitely have last year on our minds," Dyer said. "Middlebury is going to be a good team, definitely a skilled team, so we're not going to take them lightly. We're going to come out firing. We're just excited to play because it's a chance to set a good pace and start the season off on the right foot."

"We have a bad taste in our mouth from that last game," Griffith added. "But whether it's Middlebury or any other team, we're going to come out fired up and ready. Any time you lose the game before you're going to come out pissed off. It's a new year … a new team … but it's the same goal."