Fall sports season features top matchups and bitter rivalries

Here in the sports section, we understand that you have all reached a point of information overload. In fact, we are impressed that you are reading something that you do not have to right now. Because of that, we are going to keep things simple here and list off the can't-miss Tufts sporting events of the fall season. No wordy prose, no blocks of text: just the games.

Sept. 10, Field Hockey vs. Middlebury

There is no better way to start your experience as a Jumbos fan than with a national top 10 matchup in the school's marquee fall sport that just happens to be a rematch of last year's NCAA tournament second round, in which Middlebury upset Tufts, 3-2. The No. 6 Jumbos ended 2010 with a bitter taste in their mouths after dropping their final two games, and they will have little time to get their feet under them before being tested by No. 10 Middlebury in a match that will have long-term ramifications on the NESCAC standings.

Oct. 2, Field Hockey vs. Trinity

The Bantams left the only dent in an otherwise perfect 2010 regular season for the Jumbos, beating them 2-1 in overtime in Connecticut. Tufts got revenge with a 3-0 victory in the NESCAC semifinals on its own soil and will hope to maintain the status quo against No. 19 Trinity. Bantams senior Payson Sword, who averaged a goal every other game in 2010, should be on the minds of the Jumbos defenders throughout the contest.

Oct. 7 and 8, Volleyball vs. Amherst and Middlebury

It may be the only home weekend on the volleyball team's NESCAC schedule, but fans of the team could not have asked for a juicier slate of games. Tufts will play host to Amherst, the 2010 NESCAC regular season champions, and Middlebury, the 2010 NESCAC Championship winners, on consecutive days. The Jumbos eliminated the Lady Jeffs in the semi-finals, but were denied a second straight NESCAC title the following day by the Panthers. If the Jumbos can accomplish a clean sweep at Cousens Gym, they may just be able to lock up the top spot in the NESCAC standings.

Oct. 8, Men's Soccer vs. Connecticut College

Last year, in the team's first season under head coach Josh Shapiro, Tufts returned to the NESCAC Championship for just the second time in the past four years. After getting off to a strong start, the Jumbos all but sealed up their playoff berth with a 1-0 win against the Camels. If the team hopes to build on its success this season, they will likely need to take three points from this fixture once again.

Oct. 15, Football vs. Trinity

You won't see a stadium at Tufts more packed than Zimman Field during the main event of Homecoming weekend. The Jumbos play at home only four times a year, and the Homecoming game is always the major draw. The support does not go unnoticed; the team has been successful in four of their past five homecoming games. But making it five of six will be a tall order for the team as they go up against a Trinity squad that finished last season 7-1 and will feature returning star sophomore running back Evan Bunker, who finished 2010 with nearly 120 rushing yards per game. If the Jumbos can pull off the upset, it would be their first victory against Trinity since 2007 — a win that just happened to come on Parents Weekend.

Oct. 15, Women's Soccer vs. Williams

The Ephs have become the perennial women's soccer power in the NESCAC, winning their fourth consecutive conference title this past season. But it was Tufts that took first place in the 2010 regular season, partly thanks to a tense 0-0 draw on Kraft Field in which the Jumbos elite defense held firm against the Ephs attack. While the Jumbos lost co-captain center backs Carrie Wilson and Sarah Nolet to graduation, they will feature a more mature offense this season, so expect a high scoring match this time around.

Oct. 29, Football vs. Amherst

In 2010, these two teams scored a combined 119 points in a single game, rewriting the record books in the process. While certain key players from that game, including Anthony Fucillo (LA '11), who threw for a NESCAC-record 503 yards, will not be around for the rematch, these two squads could very easily light up the scoreboard again. And if the Jumbos hope to finish above .500 for the first time since 2007, this could be a key game late in the team's campaign. To top it off, the game is right in the middle of Parents Weekend, giving you the perfect opportunity to keep your family distracted while you ask them for a little more spending money.