Boston Celtics | Five keys to a successful return trip to the finals for the Celtics

The Celtics are three years removed from their last NBA title and, with a core of stars at the end of their careers, basketball's most storied franchise has a slim window in which to add another title to its mantel. They'll get back to the land where "anything is possible" if these five things happen:

1. They stay healthy

It's hard to believe that the Celtics are in contention for yet another NBA title after a long season of wear and tear on the ever-aging bodies of the "Big Three." Paul Pierce, Kevin Garnett and Ray Allen are old in the world of NBA basketball (33, 34 and 35, respectively) and may start considering retirement as soon as this offseason.

It is imperative that the Celtics' top dogs stay healthy if they plan to make a run at the title. Injuries to the team's big men have plagued the Celtics all season, and Shaquille O'Neal remains questionable to play in Boston's first-round series against the Knicks as he nurses a sore calf muscle. Though they can compete against New York without the "Big Diesel," the Celtics need Shaq in order to compete with the Chicago Bulls, Miami Heat and Orlando Magic in this highly competitive Eastern Conference.

2. They get better bench play

The Celtics bench has been consistent throughout the entire season. Former Oklahoma City Thunder forward Jeff Green has proven himself worthy of substantial playing time this postseason, recording an impressive 49 percent field-goal mark since joining the team. Still, Green has played dismally in his past 10 games and will need to step it up in the postseason. Meanwhile, fellow forward Glen Davis is in the midst of his best season as a pro, averaging nearly 12 points per game. If he and Green play well, the Celtics will be almost unbeatable, as defenses will struggle to match up against a versatile, athletic scoring attack. The Celtics will also look to Jermaine O'Neal off the bench, who surprised everyone with a 15-point, 13-rebound performance against the Washington Wizards Monday night. If he plays well, it will allow big men like Garnett, Shaq and Nenad Krstic to rest and stay fresh for later rounds in the playoffs.

3. Rondo returns to top form

Ever since Boston traded Kendrick Perkins to the Thunder, the Celtics' starting point guard Rajon Rondo hasn't been the same. Perhaps Rondo hasn't gotten over the trade emotionally, or maybe he hasn't yet adjusted to the new dynamic on the court. Regardless, the Celtics have no chance of making another finals run if Rondo doesn't play at a very high level. He needs to get back to posting 15-plus assists on a nightly basis in order to facilitate the C's fast-paced, aggressive offense. His defense also needs to be spectacular since he'll have to match up with New York's Chauncey Billups — and possibly MVP candidates Derrick Rose of the Bulls and Dwyane Wade of the Heat, if Boston advances.

4. Defense gets its swagger back

Ever since their resurgence in 2008, the Celtics have been focused on defense, and this year's playoff run will call for a defensive lockdown at every position. The challenge starts on Sunday with the New York Knicks. The Knicks are averaging 106.8 points per game (second in the league) and they have two of the NBA's best scorers in Carmelo Anthony (25.6 points per game) and Amar'e Stoudemire (25.4 points per game). As long as the Celtics can shut down at least one of these superstars each game, they should be able to take the series. Defending Miami and Chicago will not be nearly as easy, but if the team's big men effectively fill the void left by defensive stud Perkins, Boston will have a much better chance of making another appearance in the NBA finals.

5. 3-pointers fall in bunches

One of the Celtics' weaknesses is that they lack players who score by driving to the bucket, with the exception of Rondo. This often forces them to settle for difficult jump shots and 3-pointers. Luckily, Doc Rivers draws up plays that seem to leave these kinds of shots open, and the team's success this season has been due in part to players consistently making these shots. In the playoffs, the Celtics should keep doing just that. Ray Allen, who's shooting at a phenomenal 44 percent from beyond the arc, will need to continue producing while Paul Pierce, shooting at roughly 37 percent from deep this season, will need to become a bit more of a threat. If a third 3-point shooter emerges from the Celtics' bench — perhaps Delonte West or Jeff Green — then the Knicks and other Eastern Conference opponents will have trouble stopping them.