Games of the Week

Looking back (April 2-3 ) | Tufts baseball Sweeps Bates 

Coming into last weekend's three-game series with Bates, the Jumbos were at a crossroads. Though they had racked up a modest three-game winning streak against non-conference opponents, they had yet to play any NESCAC East teams and were anxious to get the conference schedule underway and measure themselves against similar oppponents.

But despite the uncertainty heading in, the results of the series could not have been better for Tufts: The Jumbos won all three games against the Bobcats, including a 5-0 victory on Friday that featured a complete game from junior pitcher Kevin Gilchrist, as well as a 3-2 walk-off win in the final game of the series on a single by senior outfielder Chase Rose.

Besides the walk-off and the complete game, highlights of the series included a seven-inning, two-run start from senior pitcher Derek Miller in Sunday's finale, as well as a 2-3 day from senior center fielder David Orlowitz that included three runs and one RBI in the first game of the Sunday doubleheader.

The sweep leaves the Jumbos tied for first atop the NESCAC East standings with the Trinity Bantams, who also have a 3-0 record in the conference. That makes this weekend's three-game set at Trinity all the more important as Tufts looks to build on its early-season success and take a stranglehold of first place in their division.

Looking ahead (April 9-11) | Yankees vs. Red Sox

Baseball is back in full force, and fans of the national pastime will be treated to an immediate three-game series of the two most heated rivals in the sport as the New York Yankees come to Boston to take on the Red Sox this weekend at Fenway Park.

The games will be played in rather unexpected circumstances for the home team, as the Red Sox, considered by many to be the favorites for the World Series, have started the season in the worst possible fashion: after getting blown out in three games against the Texas Rangers, the Sox were swept by the Cleveland Indians to start the season 0-6.

Meanwhile, the Yankees, who some experts believe are headed for a dropoff after failing to sign free-agent pitcher Cliff Lee, have started the season strongly at 4-2, winning home series against both the Detroit Tigers and Minnesota Twins.

But despite the recent form of the two teams, when the heated rivals meet, the atmosphere makes for unpredictable finishes. For the Yankees, nothing would make their fans happier than dropping the Red Sox to 0-9 on the season; for the Red Sox, the series with their rivals will provide yet another chance for their previously vaunted team to show its true potential.