Women's Tennis | No. 5 Jumbos whip Mules, sweep weekend

Coming off of a successful spring break trip to Florida that included an impressive win over No. 3 University of Chicago, the No. 5 Jumbos added three more strong victories this weekend. Tufts beat Colby on Saturday and No. 18 The College of New Jersey (TCNJ) and No. 30 Brandeis on Sunday.

The Jumbos' successful 3−1 record over break — with the only loss coming in their last match of the week against No. 1 Emory — bumped them up in the national rankings from No. 8 to No. 5. The new ranking is the squad's highest since before anyone on the current roster was playing for Tufts, Senior captain Julia Browne said.

"We're really happy and excited to have moved up in the rankings, because it shows how talented we are," sophomore Janice Lam said. "It doesn't really put any pressure on us as a team, though, because we play every team like it's a big match."

On Sunday, the Jumbos competed in the Wellesley Invitational, beating TCNJ and Brandeis. Tufts beat TCNJ 5−0, as the top−four singles matches went unfinished after Tufts had already clinched the win. Browne, the No. 1 singles player in the nation and the only upperclassman in the Tufts lineup, and freshman Shelci Bowman continued their hot streak in the No. 1 doubles spot, winning their match 8−1. Sophomore Lauren Hollender and freshman Sam Gann were each able to grab wins at No. 5 and No. 6 singles, respectively. Hollender let up only one game to opponent sophomore Lauren Balsamo.

"The sophomores have really stepped up to be leaders this year, since a lot of the lineup are freshmen," Browne said. "But they've all really grown to feel comfortable on this team and everyone has a very important role. We would not have the success that we've had this season without them."

Following the TCNJ win, the Jumbos headed to Brandeis, where they came up with the day's second big victory, beating the Judges 8−1. The Jumbos once again swept the doubles matches with Gann and Lam boasting an 8−2 win in the third doubles match.

At No. 2 singles, sophomore Lindsay Katz won in two quick sets, allowing Brandeis sophomore Faith Broderick to win just three games in the second set after shutting her out in the first. Gann also won her No. 6 match 6−0, 6−3. At the top of the lineup, Browne faced off against senior Rachel Rosman, who came into the match ranked 46th nationally. After losing the first set 6−2, Browne came back to take the second set 6−4 and won 10−3 in the decisive tiebreaker.

Tufts' only loss was in the No. 4 singles spot, with freshman Eliza Flynn falling to Brandeis freshman Ally Bernstein. Flynn won the first set 7−5 before dropping the next two.

The day before, Tufts faced Colby at home, marking the team's first NESCAC matchup of the spring season. The Jumbos dominated the Mules with a definitive 9−0 victory. At No. 1 doubles, Browne and Bowman easily beat Colby seniors Katie Muto and Katie Brezinski in an 8−1 match. At No. 2 doubles, Gann and Lam won slightly less decisively in an 8−4 match. Katz and freshman Dana Siegel won 8−2 at No. 3 doubles.

In singles play, Tufts enjoyed a blowout over the Mules, not giving up a single set. At No. 1 singles, Browne defeated Colby's Muto 6−0, 6−1 for the first singles win of the day. Gann won almost as convincingly at the No. 5 spot with a 6−0, 6−2 finish. The sixth match marked freshman Rebecca Kimmel's first collegiate outing, which she won 6−2, 6−4.

"Everyone just goes out there and tries to take care of their own business on the court," Browne said. "Dana and [Rebecca] stepped in and did a really great job against Colby, so they should both be very proud of how they competed, as well as everyone else on the team."

The next three Tufts matches are against NESCAC opponents, the first of which comes on Friday, when the Jumbos face No. 13 Bowdoin at home.

"We're definitely looking forward to playing a more competitive team like Bowdoin," Lam said. "It's going to be tough so it will push us harder and prepare us for the season's big matches against Williams and Amherst."