Inside the NBA | Sorting out the contenders and pretenders

With the NBA regular season winding down, it is time to check out the playoff races with long-overdue Power Rankings. Here, the Daily breaks down the contenders and pretenders of each conference, along with two sleeper teams that could make serious noise during the upcoming playoffs.

Eastern Conference

Contenders:

1. Boston Celtics (46-15)

The Cs have found a way to elude the perils of their collective old age and have maintained strong play throughout the entire season, despite injuries to key players. Currently, Boston holds first place in the East and is 9-2 against the four next-best teams in their conference, including an impressive 3-0 mark against the Miami Heat. One of the Celtics' biggest strengths, however, has turned into one of their biggest weaknesses: Boston now lacks quality depth at the center position. Trading away Kendrick Perkins at the trade deadline for Thunder forward Jeff Green has left the Cs with Shaq, Jermaine O'Neal and Nenad Kristic in the middle — a frontline that could get them through the East, but one that doesn't strike fear into the hearts of the West's best.

2. Chicago Bulls (44-18)

Despite the fact that Carlos Boozer and Joakim Noah have missed 22 and 33 games, respectively, for the Bulls this season, and that Chicago's starting shooting guard, Keith Bogans, averages 3.9 points per game, the Bulls still sit comfortably in second place in the conference after knocking off the Heat for the third time this season. Derrick Rose has put on a Herculean effort to carry the Bulls thus far, and now that the team is healthy and complete, they should have little trouble reaching the conference finals to face the Celtics.

Pretenders:

3. Miami Heat (43-20)

Cue Tom Hanks — "There's no crying in [basketball]." The Heat cannot be taken seriously after going 0-6 against the Bulls and Celtics this season, especially since their playoff path will most likely go through both teams.

4. Orlando Magic (40-24)

Dwight Howard is doing his best Derrick Rose impression by putting the Magic on his broad shoulders. However, after Howard's 23.1 points per game, the next leading scorer in Orlando is Jason Richardson, who is putting up a measly 14 per contest. The Magic simply do not have enough firepower to hang with the top teams in the East.

5. Atlanta Hawks (37-26)

Losers of two straight and eight of their last 12, the Hawks should be easy bait for whoever draws them in the first round.

6. New York Knicks (33-29)

A 3-6 matchup of the Heat and Knicks in the first round would be exciting on so many levels, and the Knicks could very well come out on top in that series. They possess a Big Three that has the swagger and confidence to go toe-to-toe with anyone, yet after Amar'e Stoudemire, Carmelo Anthony and Chauncey Billups, the team falls off. Look back to the Celtics of 2007-2008. They had a Big Three primed to win, but it was the unsung heroes like P.J. Brown, Sam Cassell and Leon Powe that won decisive playoff games.  The Knicks don't have those types of guys on the roster.

Sneaky Pesky Sleeper:

7. Philadelphia 76ers (32-30)

After starting 13-21, the 76ers have gone 19-9 since. Elton Brand has come alive and Andre Iguodala has posted two triple-doubles in the past six games. They have interesting pieces and play with high energy. While they'll be hard-pressed to unseat the top dogs in the East, they could be a difficult out in round one.

Western Conference

Contenders:

1. Los Angeles Lakers (45-19)

Like the Celtics last year, the Lakers have decided to just now start their 2010-11 season — with ten weeks left. Winners of all seven games since the All-Star break, including victories over the Spurs and Thunder, Los Angeles has hopped into playoff mode and should be playing hard every night for the rest of the season.

2. San Antonio Spurs (51-12)

The Spurs have quietly put together the NBA's best record, despite not having a single player who averages over 18 points per game. Coach Gregg Popovich's squad's relentlessly efficient and technical style of play has allowed this aged roster to manufacture win after win, which bodes well for their playoff chances as the games slow down and each possession is exponentially more important.

3. Dallas Mavericks (46-17)

Discounting the nine games Dirk Nowitzki missed due to injury, the Mavericks are 44-10. With Dirk playing as well as ever, and the French speedster Roddy Beaubois almost fully healed from an ankle injury that saw him miss 60-plus games, the Mavs are poised to make a deep run in the West.

4. Oklahoma City Thunder (39-23)

Quite possibly the NBA's most patient and poised GM, Sam Presti saw the lay of the land of the West and finally decided to make a trade that could catapult the Thunder into the upper echelon of the league. Acquiring center Kendrick Perkins filled the one glaring hole of the league's most exciting young team. With two of the top 15 players in the league in Kevin Durant and Russell Westbrook, and now an anchor in the middle of the defense, the Thunder are no longer too young and too inexperienced to contend — they are legit.

Pretenders:

5. Portland Trailblazers (36-27)

Perhaps the slyest move of the trade deadline was Portland's acquisition of Gerald Wallace from the Bobcats for two reserves and a first-round draft pick. Wallace gives the Blazers another elite athlete who can rebound and defend multiple positions. However, even with LaMarcus Aldridge raising his game to a much higher level, the Blazers lack an elite scorer.

6. New Orleans Hornets (37-29)

Chris Paul and his giant knee brace can only do so much. Especially now, with Paul facing an extended absence due to a concussion, the Hornets won't make it out of the first round.

Sneaky Pesky Sleeper:

7. Memphis Grizzlies (36-29)

What a roller coaster of a season the Grizz have had. Somehow, between fights and suspensions, this team has managed to sneak its way into the playoff race. In their past four games, they have gone 3-1, beating the Spurs, Mavs and Thunder. Memphis has size in the paint in Zach Randolph and Marc Gasol, athletic scorers in O.J. Mayo and Mike Conley, and nasty defensive stoppers in Tony Allen and Shane Battier. The Grizz may not win the title, but they'll stick around long enough to bother a top seed in the first round.