Intramurals | Open gym time to debut tonight

Basketball players frustrated by the lack of a winter intramural season will be able to get their pick-up game fix tonight when "open gym time," the Athletics Department's replacement for winter intramurals, kicks off at 9 p.m. in Cousens Gym.

In November, the Athletics Department axed the winter intramural season that, in years past, had been broken up by winter break and plagued by gym space issues and a flurry of athlete no-shows.

Intramural diehards expressed doubts that the new open gym system would be as intense or fun as an official season.

"There will be more people with less skill and less desire to win, that just want to goof around," junior Jake Schiller said in December.

The benefit to the open gym slots is convenience and ease, according to Director of Intramural Sports Cheryl Milligan. Tufts students need only to show up at the gym tonight between 9 p.m. and 10:30 p.m. with a Tufts ID to get in a game.

Before the games kick off, Milligan and other intramural staff will be on hand at 8 p.m. to hold a "town-hall style" meeting at which students can voice their opinions on the new system.

The open gym times will continue throughout January and February, until the spring intramural season, which includes badminton, basketball, dodgeball, lacrosse and indoor soccer, starts up on March 28. For more information on the new format, including pictures from tonight's games, see Wednesday's issue of the Daily.

Full "open gym" schedule below:

Mon., Jan. 24th — Basketball (9 p.m.-10:30; town hall at 8 p.m.)

Tues., Jan. 25th — Soccer (8 p.m.-10:30; town hall at 8 p.m.)

Wed., Jan. 26th — Basketball (9 p.m.-10:30)

Thurs., Jan. 27th — Dodgeball (8 p.m.-10:30; town hall at 8 p.m.)

Mon., Jan. 31st — Basketball (9 p.m.-10:30; town hall at 8 p.m.)

Tues., Feb. 1st — Soccer (8 p.m.-10:30)

Wed., Feb. 2nd — Volleyball (9 p.m.-10:30)