Women's Basketball | Explosive offense propels Jumbos to win over Chargers

In an outstanding display of both offensive and defensive skills, the women's basketball team on Saturday afternoon extended its winning streak to three with a 70−36 blowout victory over out−of−conference opponent Colby−Sawyer at Cousens Gym. With three straight impressive wins under their belts, the Jumbos are starting to hit their stride.

"With our new players and new roles for some returners, I think we needed to get some game experience under our belt," junior tri−captain forward Kate Barnosky, who is currently nursing a torn meniscus, said. "We're clicking a lot more now, and team chemistry is building."

After a slow start offensively, the Jumbos found themselves trailing 3−1 with a little over four minutes played. The lead would prove to be the only one the Chargers would earn, as a 3−pointer from freshman guard Liz Moynihan gave the Jumbos an advantage they would not relinquish the rest of the game.

"We were getting good looks, but our shots just weren't falling," Barnosky said. "We did a good job of not getting frustrated with how the game opened up, and we started knocking down shots."

And knock down shots they did. A 17−4 offensive flurry from the Jumbos — which included two 3−pointers and a circus shot from senior tri−captain guard Colleen Hart — put them ahead by 15 points. Despite an effort by Colby−Sawyer freshman forward Mari Meserve that included six points down the stretch, the Jumbos led the Chargers 36−18 going into halftime.

The score was a real tribute to the Tufts defense, as the team forced 12 Charger turnovers in the first half alone, turning them into 12 points.

But the Jumbos knew they needed to play a full game — something the team had been struggling with in recent weeks.

"This was the first time we've been able to string two halves together," sophomore forward Bre Dufault said. "Sometimes we'll have a late start, or we'll have a great first half and then break down in the second. This time we were consistent throughout the game."

Colby−Sawyer came out of halftime determined, but Tufts quickly shifted the momentum in its favor. After the Chargers got the first points of the half, a 3−pointer from sophomore forward Collier Clegg and another basket from Moynihan re−established the advantage for the Jumbos. For the rest of the game, the Tufts lead would never dip below 20, getting as large as 36 with five and a half minutes to go.

The final score line was a reflection of both the offensive and defensive domination that the Jumbos exhibited. Eleven members of the Tufts team contributed to the final score, including four who scored in double digits. Hart led the team with a double−double, tallying 15 points and 11 rebounds. Junior guard Tiffany Kornegay had a double−double as well, with 13 points and a game−high 12 boards. She also added five assists.

The team also got major contributions from its younger talent, with Moynihan and Clegg scoring 14 and 11 points, respectively.

The scoring distribution on Saturday demonstrated the remarkable depth of talent on the young team.

"Coach [Carla Berube] has been saying she thinks our team this year has one of the deepest benches she's seen in her nine years here," Barnosky said. "Yesterday everyone not only played a lot, but everyone that went in contributed too."

With the decisive win, the Jumbos are demonstrating the progress necessary for success during conference play, which begins Jan. 14 in a home game against Middlebury.

"The NESCAC will be a step up in terms of competition, especially with three NESCAC teams currently in the top 25 in the country," Barnosky said. "These games have been a great learning experience for our newcomers and have helped prepare us to take on the NESCAC."

Now 4−1, the Jumbos will continue their out−of−conference schedule as they travel to Emerson on Tuesday night for a 5:30 p.m. matchup. The Jumbos took down the Lions 59−49 last year and hope for a similar result this time around.