Athletes of the week

Tamara Brown, Field Hockey

It may not be surprising, but that doesn't make senior forward Tamara Brown's second NESCAC field hockey Player of the Week award of this season any less impressive. After posting the lone goal in the No. 5 Jumbos' 1-0 win over a previously undefeated No. 4 Bowdoin squad to capture the No. 1 seed in the conference tournament on Friday night, Brown notched her third hat trick of 2010 in the team's 4-1 quarterfinal win over Bates on Sunday.

The reigning NESCAC Player of the Year, Brown leads the league in scoring with 23 goals — five short of breaking her single-season record of 28, which she posted in 2008 during the Jumbos' 21-game winning streak leading up to the national championship final. Brown has the most game-winners in the conference as well. She'll look to lead the Jumbos' to a NESCAC crown this weekend. 

Anthony Fucillo, Football

Senior quarterback and tri-captain Anthony Fucillo threw for 503 yards and three touchdowns in the Jumbos' 70-49 loss to Amherst on Saturday. Fucillo smashed his own passing record of 356 yards, set against Bowdoin earlier this season and became the program's new leader in single season yardage with 1,880, breaking a record that has stood since 1982. The 503 yards made him the new holder of the single game passing record in the NESCAC. His 522 yards of total offense was a new NESCAC and Tufts record.

Fucillo also rushed for two touchdowns on Saturday, contributing to the team score of 49, their highest point total all season, which did not prove to be enough against Bowdoin's 70 points. The Jumbos will try to get their defense in check with just two games remaining this season, against NESCAC foes Colby and Middlebury.