Women's Lacrosse Preview | Jumbos prepare to follow up historic 2009 season

Expectations for the women's lacrosse team are higher than ever as it comes off a historic 2009 season. The Jumbos finished the regular season atop the NESCAC and reached the third round of the NCAA tournament in their first appearance on the national stage, losing to eventual champion Franklin and Marshall.

"It will be hard to exceed last year, which was the best year Tufts has ever had statistically," head coach and reigning NESCAC Coach of the Year Carol Rappoli said. "So it's a new[er] grouping of goals this year than ever before."

However, Tufts' mentality and focus remains the same: take one game at a time and return to the top. Though their midfield was severely depleted after graduation, the Jumbos' strength in goal, attack and defense returns as they prepare to face Amherst in their first game Saturday to kick off their campaign to return to the Elite Eight.

"This Saturday will be a true test of how far we've come," senior co−captain and midfielder Jenna Abelli said. "I know we're going to have a great team again this year, and we definitely have high expectations for this season."

Headlining Tufts' roster in the game on Saturday will be senior co−captain Alyssa Kopp and senior Emily Johnson, who will lead the team at both ends of the field. Kopp, a third−team All−American, first−team All−NESCAC and first−team All−Region defender as a junior, will anchor the team's unique zone defense, while Johnson, a returning second−team All−Region player, will look to improve on her 45−goal 2009 season.

The defense will be bolstered by returning juniors Yael Tzipori and starter Lily Colahan, sophomores Maggie Casey and starter Katie Lotz and freshmen Kerry McGinn and Tess Shapanka. Additionally, junior Sara Bloom, who finished 2009 with the second−highest save total and fourth−best save percentage in the conference, will return in goal for the Jumbos.

On attack, freshmen Kaitlyn Leidl and Sabrina Gordon will complement sophomores Kelly Hyland and Lara Kozin in anchoring the underclassmen.

"I think we have enormous potential," Abelli said. "For the past three weeks we have been developing a lot of younger players, giving them as much experience as possible."

However, the team's experiences in its two scrimmages thus far have shown where its greatest challenge lies: in the midfield. In both matches, the Jumbos struggled between the restraining lines, though improvements in the second match were visible. The uncharacteristic confusion in the midfield may be attributed to two unexpected roster losses that forced the team to transition into new roles.

The biggest shock came from the resignation of second team All−American, first team All−Region and two−time All−NESCAC junior center Amanda Roberts, who is also a co−captain and All−American in field hockey. Also, a foot injury has removed sophomore defensive midfielder Kelly Cakert from game play indefinitely. Thankfully for Tufts, though, the team's roster boasts depth in the midfield with 12 of the 23 players that are prepared to start on the circle. The Jumbos are confident that the adjustment period is over and that they are ready to take on NESCAC teams.

"We have 23 excellent players on the team," Rappoli said. "You lose players every year and we're just moving on from that. The kids have worked really hard in the last three weeks and I think they're just ready to play another team at this point. They're done playing themselves and ready to move on to the season."

"We've been working the hardest at filling those shoes; preparing players to fill those spots," Abelli added.

Senior Michelle Crothers, sophomores Sterling Champion, Emily Pillemer, Casey Egan and Steph Perez and first−years Mary Kate Gorman, Meg Boland and Kerry Eaton will step into the positions left vacant after 2009.

Either way, it seems the team is simply eager to flex its muscles and test itself against Amherst after two weeks of practice. With the post−season undoubtedly in the back of their minds, the Jumbos enter the season ready to win.

"For this season we have some goals in mind," Rappoli said. "We want to host the NESCAC tournament and [we'll] strive to do whatever it takes to gets there. And, as the next two months go along, we'll see."