Olympic Hockey | Team underdog: United States unlikely to repeat miracle

As far as most Americans are concerned, the movie "Miracle" (2004) is pretty much the hockey bible. Beyond the film and the words "Canada" and "1980," most Americans' hockey knowledge is pretty limited. Not to burst anyone's bubble, but it doesn't look like the 2010 U.S. Olympic men's hockey team will be etching its place in U.S. hockey glory.

Though the squad certainly stands to make a good run in this year's tournament, a few other hockey powerhouses are much more likely to claim gold in Vancouver.

If your first thought when you hear the word "hockey" is Canada, you're not completely naïve — especially when it comes to the Olympics. Out of the first seven Winter Olympic Games, Canada won the gold six times. In the 14 games since, however, it has achieved victory just once — in 2002 in Salt Lake City. If there were ever a year for Canada to set the record straight, this is it.

Putting aside the fact that the Canadians will be competing on home ice, their lineup is formidable, to say the least. Headlining the Canadian team's offense are Sidney Crosby and Jarome Iginla. Sid the Kid, the virtual poster child of the NHL and the captain of the Stanley Cup−champion Pittsburgh Penguins, currently has 39 goals this season (second in the league), 74 points (fourth) and a 17.8 shooting percentage (tied for eighth). There is no doubt that he will be lighting the lamp frequently for his national squad in the upcoming weeks.

Iginla is no less of a threat as well. With 54 points this season, Iginla is making his third trip to the Olympics, and in 2002 he scored three goals in six games for the victorious Canadian squad.

And let's not forget Patrick Marleau and Dany Heatley, who rank third and sixth in goals in the NHL this season, respectively. In short, the Canadian team is loaded and should put on an offensive show in Vancouver.

Leading the Canadian defensive effort will be captain Scott Niedermayer and assistant captain Chris Pronger. Niedermayer and Pronger are two of the most reliable blue−liners in the league, having logged the second− and sixth−most ice time among all players this year. It won't be easy for opposing nations to get the puck past Canada's defensive unit, but on the few occasions that they do, they will find it even harder to get the puck in the net.

Canada will bring the goaltending trio of Martin Brodeur, Roberto Luongo and Marc−André Fleury to the games. Though no official statement has yet been made as to who the starter will be, there is little doubt in anyone's mind that Brodeur, who has the most wins of all time in the NHL — will get the nod. Goaltending alone always makes Canada a likely contender.

If there is one player that every country wishes it could have, though, it is Alexander Ovechkin. Unfortunately for everyone else, only Russia is lucky enough to claim him. After leading the NHL in scoring in 2007−08 and 2008−09, Ovechkin is at it once again, with 42 goals so far this campaign. He also leads the league in points (88) and plus/minus rating (42).

Though Ovechkin is certainly capable of being a one−man wrecking crew, he shouldn't need to be in Vancouver. Joining Ovechkin are the fearsome Ilya Kovalchuk, Evgeni Malkin and Alexander Semin, all of whom have 50 or more points this season.

Likely starting goaltenders for the Russians are Evgeni Nabokov and Ilya Bryzgalov, who rank second and fourth, respectively, in wins this season. Russia, additionally, has every bit as much to prove as Canada. Despite winning the world championships in 2008 and 2009, Russia has not skated away with Olympic gold since the dissolution of the Soviet Union, something the former Olympic powerhouse is sure to be aware of.

The showdown that everyone is expecting is definitely Canada vs. Russia, and those expectations are not unfounded. The firepower that both nations are bringing to Vancouver is simply unrivaled, and a gold medal contest between the two would certainly be a spectacle. But nothing is ever certain, especially with such prestigious hardware on the line, and there are a few other countries that could squeeze their way into the gold medal match.

Defending champion Sweden returns 13 of the 23 players who carried their country to victory over Finland in 2006, so its chances look as good as ever. Key among those players is goaltender Henrik Lundqvist, whose 5−1 record and 2.33 GAA were crucial to the Swedes' victory. Defensemen Niklas Kronwall and Nicklas Lidstrom, also members of the 2006 team, should prove an able first line of defense in front of Lundqvist. Injuries have plagued much of Sweden's most capable scorers, however, so it remains to be seen how the team will cope.

Team USA, though definitely in the conversation, is a bit of an underdog this year. The 23−man roster announced at the NHL Winter Classic on New Year's Day features 17 players under the age of 30, and only three players with previous Olympic experience. Among those who have competed in the winter games before is 34−year−old captain Jamie Langenbrunner, whose experience as captain of the New Jersey Devils has proved him a capable leader.

Langenbrunner's New Jersey teammate Zach Parise is the Americans' most potent offensive weapon, and his 26 goals are second among all American NHL players this season. Joining Parise are Patrick Kane and Ryan Kesler. All three have over 50 points this year, but as is characteristic of the American squad, all are 25 or younger. Though youth once proved enough for Team USA — 1980 was actually the last time the United States won gold — it does not seem like it will be a virtue this time around.