Men's Track and Field | Jumbos have year's best team meet of year at Tufts Invitational II

The men's track and field team hosted the Tufts Invitational II this weekend in the Gantcher Center, and, though the meet was non−scoring, the Jumbos claimed three individual victories on Saturday and came away content with their overall performance.

"I was very pleased with the meet," coach Ethan Barron said. "I feel it was our best team showing of the year so far. We had three top−10 performances [of all time at Tufts]. I think we did a really good job setting weekly goals for ourselves and then across the board really reaching those, so it was that small step forward we were looking to make."

Senior Jesse Faller led the pack, triumphing in the one−mile run, crossing the line in 4:17.19 and just barely out−leaning Brandeis runner Chris Brown by a hundredth of a second.

Faller was the lone individual winner on the day, though, as the other two Tufts victories both came in the relays. The 4x400−meter relay unit of seniors Jason Hanrahan, Jared Engelking and Isaiah Paramore and freshman Lomie Cunningham edged out the Brandeis team by four tenths of a second to claim first in 3:30.95.

The all−freshman 4x800−meter relay team of Sam Haney, Adam Brosh, Dan Kirschner and Jeff Marvel won its event in a time of 8:06.67 as well.

"I was happy with [the relays]," Barron said. "For the 4x800, we went in looking to secure a fast heat time for New Englands, and they did that for us. We have a lot of depth in the 400 and 800 and the [distance medley relay], and in the relays, it is really about who wants it more."

Another top finisher for Tufts was freshman Matt Rand, who took second in the 3,000−meter run, finishing in 8:50.81.

The Jumbos also had two third−place finishes on Saturday: freshman Michael Blair in the high jump at a height of 1.91 meters and junior Alex Gresham in the weight throw with a distance of 14.31 meters.

"This weekend we did a good job of demonstrating the balance of this year's team," Barron said. "There were good performances in all of the events."

Many Jumbos continued to look for New England Div. III qualifying marks this weekend in the hopes of participating in the New England Championships in two weeks at Boston University.

The Tufts Invitational II opened on Friday with the pentathlon, in which Tufts sophomore Tobie Reeuwijk took third in a field of 11 athletes with a total of 3,161 points. Tufts senior Bobby Bardin also competed in the pentathlon, scoring 2,907 to finish eighth.

"[The pentathlon] went surprisingly well. I [had personal records] in four out of five events," Reeuwijk said. "Coach has been really good at turning me into a [multi−event athlete]. I came in as a mid−distance guy, and he's done a great job at helping me in all the events."

Reeuwijk's highest finish in the five−part event was his victory in the 1,000−meter run with a personal−best time of 2:45.90, as he squeaked by Williams junior Isaac Nicholson by less than four tenths of a second.

"The Williams guy really pushed me during the race," Reeuwijk said. "I took [the race] out really hard, and then he pushed the next part, and I only just edged him out at the end. It was a really fun race."

Both Reeuwijk and Bardin's finishes were not only good enough to qualify for the All−New England Championships, but were also personal bests for the two athletes.

"Anytime you have 100 percent of your athletes PR [personal record], it's a good day," Barron said." "We went in [to the pentathlon] with the goal of having two New England qualifiers, and we did."

"My goal was for all five of the [multis] to make it to New Englands, and me and Bobby both made it this weekend," Reeuwijk added. "When you have four teammates there right next to you, that's when you get the most PR's. You are all doing the same events, so you get this mutual energy really going."

The Jumbos will return to the track at the Valentine Invitational at Boston University (BU) Saturday in their last meet before the New England Div. III Championships on Feb. 19 at Bates.

"I think BU is about great competition," Barron said. "Anytime you get great athletes together, regardless of the track, you're going to get some great races, so I'm looking forward to seeing some great races."