Hockey | With Barchard in net, can win streak continue over break?

In a high-paced and physical sport like hockey, momentum is everything. If everything is going right for a team, it can even appear as though the ice is tilted. Lately, things have been going that way for the Jumbos, as they have rattled off four straight wins — just one shy of their longest streak from last year — to improve to 4-2-1 overall.

As the team enters winter break, Tufts is hoping that the holiday cheer will spread to its performance on the ice as it looks to keep that streak going in six contests over the break, five of which are against NESCAC/ECAC East teams.

"It's a great opportunity to get some league points," senior tri-captain Dave Antonelli said. "The good thing about break is that we can focus on nothing but hockey."

So far, the Jumbos' season has been highlighted by December wins over New England College and St. Anselm, as well as a 3-3 season-opening tie against national powerhouse Middlebury.

But for all the stellar play, it has been the perfomance of sophomore goaltender Scott Barchard that has stood out above the rest.

Last week, Barchard was awarded the NESCAC Player of the Week, as he anchored the Jumbos to two weekend wins, stopping 115 of the 119 shots he faced. His .953 save percentage is the best of any starter in the conference and his 322 saves are by far the most.

"Our [defense] has been pretty banged up lately and we've been putting some guys back to help out," Antonelli said. "We don't want [Barchard] to have to make 60 saves every game. But the whole team plays with significant confidence because we know we have a guy who can steal a game and pick us up when we make a mistake."

The Jumbos will first take on Conn. College Friday afternoon at home before taking a break for the rest of 2009. The Camels currently sit in last in the conference standings and, at 1-6 overall, have already lost to New England College 2-0, a squad that the Tufts downed 3-1 on Dec. 4.

When they resume play against Babson on Jan. 8, the Jumbos will be facing a string of six games in nine days, including three consecutive away contests. Back-to-back weekend games at NESCAC foes Hamilton and Amherst should be crucial in determining how the conference will shape up in the new year.

If the Jumbos can keep rolling like they have been, they could find themselves near the top of the standings in one of the toughest Div. III conferences in the nation.