Inside the NFL | Denver's McDaniels is riding a Mile High

Denver Broncos coach Josh McDaniels deserves a lot of apologies from members of the professional sports media. McDaniels was judged from the moment he stepped inside the Broncos' headquarters in Englewood, Colo. As soon as he took over the reins of the Broncos organization, McDaniels dove headfirst into the fire, making a number of puzzling moves, including one in which he traded away Pro Bowl quarterback Jay Cutler.

Now the Broncos' are 5-0 despite dumping Cutler, whom McDaniels handed over to the Chicago Bears in exchange for quarterback Kyle Orton and a number of draft picks. Orton, who never had much success in Chicago, was seen as a low-end NFL quarterback and at one point during the preseason, rumors circulated that journeyman Chris Simms would possibly beat him out for the starting spot.

Orton held on to his job despite Simms' best efforts and was able to play with a lacerated finger on his throwing hand, which he injured during Denver's third preseason game.

Now the Broncos appear to have a firm grip on the AFC West following their early season success. The Kansas City Chiefs and the Oakland Raiders are two of the most pitiful teams in the league, and the San Diego Chargers are off to their usual slow start. The Broncos have won in a number of ways, including a miracle Week One victory over the Cincinnati Bengals, but the most impressive aspect of the team is its revamped defense.

In years past, the Broncos were always able to score points but could not stop an opposing team's offense. In fact, the situation was quite similar to the one that consistently derailed the New Orleans Saints in recent years.

But this season, under new defensive coordinator Mike Nolan, the Denver defense is allowing an unbelievably low 8.3 points per game. Outside linebacker Elvis Dumervil has recorded eight sacks in five games, and the defensive unit as a whole received a much-needed boost in leadership when McDaniels signed veteran safety Brian Dawkins to a five-year contract during the offseason.

However, it's not the personnel moves that have this team off to a 5-0 start: it's the coaching staff — namely McDaniels. While he certainly made some strange moves that may or may not work out in the long run, it became apparent after his team's 23-20 overtime victory over the New England Patriots on Sunday that McDaniels' heart is in the right place.

Sometimes coaches are deliberately overemotional in an attempt to inspire their players. Not McDaniels. The first-year head coach's gigantic fist pumps, which were directed towards the Denver fans at Invesco Field at Mile High after the victory, were completely genuine. McDaniels could not have been more excited to beat his former mentor Bill Belichick — whom he highly regards — at his own game. The raw emotion displayed by McDaniels over the past few games has proven that while he still has a lot to learn about being a head coach, he has the drive and desire to succeed in the NFL.

As if the fist pumps were not enough evidence, McDaniels has even pulled disgruntled wide receiver Brandon Marshall onto his bandwagon. Marshall was a malcontent throughout the offseason and preseason, and eventually his bad attitude resulted in a suspension handed out from his new head coach. Marshall demanded a new contract even though he still had time left on his current deal, but McDaniels and the rest of the Broncos' front office would not budge.     When Marshall went the Cutler route and asked to be traded, McDaniels continued to hold his ground. By the time the regular season rolled around and Denver had won their first few games, Marshall snapped out of his funk, scoring the game-winning touchdown in a Week Four game against the Dallas Cowboys. He then followed up that performance by scoring two touchdowns — including one that tied the game late and sent it into overtime — over the weekend against the Patriots.

After his game winner against the Cowboys, the cameras captured an emotional scene in which Marshall embraced McDaniels in a huge bear hug. That moment between diva wide receiver and first-year head coach solidified the fact that Belichick's latest disciple has what it takes to be a winning coach in the NFL.

To further reinforce that notion, just take a look at what happened to another former Patriots coordinator over in Cleveland. Eric Mangini, the former head coach of the New York Jets and the new head coach of the dreadful Cleveland Browns, could not get on the same page with his own star wide receiver, Braylon Edwards. Like Marshall, Edwards wanted to be traded from Cleveland over the offseason, but unlike Marshall, Edwards got his wish. Last week Mangini and the Browns finally caved and shipped Edwards — who was far and away the Browns' most talented player — to the Jets for a third round pick, a fifth round pick and two utility players.

Mangini failed in New York and is already on the hot seat in Cleveland, and his latest gaffe provides more evidence that he does not have the "it" factor that McDaniels seems to possess.

Although the presently flawless Broncos are certainly not the best team in the league, they are definitely headed for greener pastures. McDaniels still has a ways to go, but if he can keep his passion and dedication pointing in the right direction, Broncos fans should be happy with him as their head coach for years to come.