Men's Soccer | Tufts plays to scoreless tie at Bates

Coming into last week with an 0-4-1 record, the men's soccer team knew that it needed to find a way to start winning games. The Jumbos came through with an overtime victory against Suffolk in a non-conference game on Tuesday and then took the pitch in Lewiston, Maine against Bates looking to start a streak.

The Bobcats (2-4-1 overall, 0-3-1 in NESCAC play) are considered a lower-tier team in the conference and a team that the Jumbos needed to beat if they were to compete with their more successful rivals. Even though the Jumbos outplayed Bates for the majority of the match, they never achieved a goal, and the game ended in a scoreless draw after two overtime periods.

Tufts was outshot by Bates 20-19 and made fewer attempts on goal — two against four for Bates — but the Bobcats' gameplan was hindered by the wet conditions at Russell Street Field.

"Their strategy was to kick the ball over the top, and in that weather, their means of attack really didn't work," junior tri-captain midfielder Naji Muakkassa said.

The Jumbos had the game's best chance to score in the 78th minute. Junior mid-fielder Ron Coleman's shot beat Bates' sophomore goalkeeper Greg Watts but was then hand-balled out by sophomore forward Chris Okano. Okano was red-carded and ejected from the game for the play, and the Jumbos were awarded a penalty kick with just over 10 minutes left in regulation.

Muakkassa took the kick from 11 meters away but sent it just high. The ball hit the crossbar, leaving the 0-0 score unchanged.

"I put the weight of missing that penalty kick on my shoulders," Muakkassa said. "We're OK with a tie, but I'm disappointed that's one of the reasons we didn't get a win."

Tufts had another excellent chance to score in the first overtime, when senior tri-captain midfielder Bear Duker put a ball in the air for senior forward Dan Schoening. Schoening sent it over the head of Watts, and for a moment the Jumbos thought they'd won the game with their first NESCAC goal of the season.

"I started walking off the field because I thought the game was over," Duker said. "It was past their goalie, but it hit the crossbar, and we've kind of been unlucky that way this season."

Still, the Jumbos were upbeat after the game, as they showed significant improvement. Despite the unfavorable conditions, Tufts played well defensively and possessed the ball for the majority of the match.         "Half of soccer is not letting the other team score, and so we're happy to get out of there without allowing a goal," Muakkassa said.

Much of the credit for the shutout goes to senior tri-captain goalkeeper Pat Tonelli, who had an excellent game. Tonelli made four saves and was instrumental in helping the defense keep the Bobcats at bay. It was the seventh shutout of Tonelli's collegiate career.

"Pat had one of the best games I've seen him play in goal in my four years," Duker said.

Although they also were unable to land a shot in the back of the net, the Jumbos, who are competing with Bates and Colby for the final spot in the conference tournament, were pleased to emerge with their first tie in NESCAC play this season. With five more conference games to go, Tufts came out of Saturday's contest tied with the Bobcats for the last slot. Colby is half a game behind with an extra loss on its ledger (0-4-1).

"The season just hasn't gone our way yet, and we've been unlucky, but we just need to not be in one of the last two spots so we can make the playoffs," Duker said. "And though we're still scoreless in NESCAC play, this tie didn't really hurt us."

After traveling to Plymouth State for a non-conference game on Wednesday, the Jumbos will return for a crucial NESCAC tilt with the Colby Mules during Homecoming weekend next Saturday at 1:30 p.m. on Bello Field.