Athletes of the Week

Pat Bailey, Football - After Tufts' offense struggled in the season-opening 7-3 loss to Wesleyan on Sept. 26, it was junior Pat Bailey who jump-started the squad and led the team to a 15-7 victory at Bates.

The tailback was a steady force for the Jumbos, averaging 3.5 yards per carry and helping Tufts control the pace of the game and keep Bates' offense off the field. Bailey led the Jumbos in both rushing and receiving yards — compiling 63 and 89, respectively — but his most important contribution was on the game's biggest play.

On the Jumbos' first offensive play of the fourth quarter, with Tufts clinging to a 9-7 lead, Bates brought pressure on Tufts quarterback Tom McManama. Bailey got himself open for his quarterback and hauled in the cross-field pass, then took it all the way to the end-zone for a 71-yard touchdown. The score provided Tufts with much-needed insurance and effectively sealed the victory for the Jumbos.

Alix Michael, Women's Soccer - On Saturday's road match against the Bates Bobcats, sophomore midfielder Alix Michael came up big with two goals to preserve a Tufts lead in the 3-0 NESCAC shutout victory.

In its fourth conference match up of the season, the 4-3 Tufts squad faced off against a struggling 2-4-1 Bates team that had dropped two out of its last three games. Setting the pace of the game from the onset, Michael notched an unassisted goal from 25 yards out just five minutes in, despite a swarm of defensive players in front of the net, to make it 1-0 Tufts.

About 41 minutes into the first half, the Mercer Island, Wash. native slipped past her defender to tally her second goal of the game and her third of the season. She now leads the Jumbos in goals this season.

Topping the team in shots, goals and points, Michael played an integral role in recording the Jumbos' biggest win of the year thus far.