NESCAC Football Breakdown

Both teams are 0-1 and will be looking for their first win of the season. The Bobcats will try to get their ground game in gear after rushing for just 30 yards versus Trinity, while the Jumbos will look to exploit a Bates defense that gave up 190 yards on the ground.

This is a matchup of last year's NESCAC cellar dwellers, though each appears headed in opposite directions. The Cardinals beat Tufts last week and would already double last year's win total with a victory over the Continentals, who fell to Amherst in their first game.

Colby's upset bid last week versus Williams fell just short, but it could make some noise in the conference by beating the Panthers. Middlebury will be hoping to solve its defensive issues after giving up a staggering 50 points in its opening loss to Bowdoin.

Are the Polar Bears for real? Saturday's visit to Amherst will go a long way to answering that question. Bowdoin exploded for 19 fourth-quarter points last week in its 50-35 win over Middlebury and will need to duplicate its offensive output to beat the Lord Jeffs on the road.

The top two teams from the NESCAC in 2008 will duke it out in Hartford, Conn. this weekend. The Bantams' title defense got off to a good start with a win over Bates, while Williams needed a last-minute score to upend Colby. The Ephs were the last team to beat Trinity at home, way back in 2001.

— by Ethan Landy