Women's Soccer | Jumbos, Cadigan eager for fresh start

After a season of disarray that featured myriad injuries and a first-round exit in the NESCAC Tournament, the women's soccer team is ready to bounce back.
    With a healthy squad in tow, the Jumbos have their sights set on improving from their 2008 season, in which they started out 5-0 but ended 8-5-1, thanks in part to a slew of injuries that, at its low point, forced a midfielder to play goalie. Assuming the Jumbos stay out of the trainer's office, they could very well compete for their second NESCAC championship and their third trip to the NCAA Tournament since 2005.
    "We all need to stay healthy during the season," senior co-captain Cara Cadigan said. "We need to take care of ourselves, because it got to the point last year where people had to play through injuries. We want to make sure we do everything we can so we minimize those injuries that are preventable."
    "We're really excited to get the season started after everything that happened last year," junior midfielder Geneva DeGregorio said. "Everyone came into preseason in great shape, and we've hit the ground running."
    Having graduated just one senior, Tufts will rely on experience as an asset. Though only five players started every game last season, that allowed an unexpected handful of others to receive meaningful playing time. Every player that started a game in 2008 is set to return.
    "Our experience is going to be really big for us," DeGregorio said. "We have so many players that can play in so many positions and have played them at this level. And when we go to the bench, there is no drop off. There is definitely a consistency in the talent level."
    "We have a very deep bench," Cadigan added. "The way we play doesn't change, no matter who is in. We are constantly playing at our best because everyone is that good right now."
    The backline, which limited opponents to just over one goal per game last year, will once again include junior defenders Audrey Almy and Sarah Nolet. Having started all but one game in her college career, Nolet was first-team All-NESCAC in 2008, and, at 6-foot-0, she controls the game in the air and on the ground.
    The midfield features Tufts' other returning All-NESCAC selection, senior Fanna Gamal, who had two goals and three assists last year. Joining her in the midfield, among others, will be DeGregorio and sophomores Lauren O'Connor and Olivia Rowse, all players who made at least nine starts last year.
    Ultimately, the Jumbos' fate will rest on the shoulders of Cadigan's comeback from an ACL injury. Two years ago, she took the NESCAC by storm, using blazing speed and a deft touch to score 19 goals and shatter the Tufts single-season mark. With Cadigan back on the field, the Jumbo attack is sure to be more dangerous.
    "I feel ready to play," Cadigan said. "It feels good to be back on the field again."
    Joining Cadigan up top will be senior Ali Maxwell, who led the team last year with five goals. Cadigan's absence forced Maxwell to take a more important role in the team's offensive schemes and often be the team's target player. Her presence means that Tufts has two proven, legitimate threats playing forward.
    The Jumbos' season begins this Saturday with a trip to Middlebury to face the Panthers, who beat Tufts 3-1 last year.
    "We're ready to go up there and have a challenge for our first game," DeGregorio said. "We had a tough time up there last year, and we definitely are looking forward to getting a better result."
    But, as is usually the case, Amherst and Williams will be Tufts' two biggest in-conference competitors this season. The Ephs are the two-time defending NESCAC champions, while the Jeffs finished second in both the regular season and tournament play.
    "Amherst and Williams are always going to be very tough, but I think our team is definitely good enough to compete and beat them," DeGregorio said.

Ethan Landy contributed reporting to this article.