Where you read it first | Wednesday, May 1, 2024

Women's Softball | Ripecky, Santone are NESCAC's first honorees

The softball team can attribute much of its success during its historic 12-0 season opening to two players: senior Maya Ripecky and sophomore Izzie Santone. In light of their spectacular play over the past week, Ripecky and Santone have been named the NESCAC's first Player and Pitcher for the week, respectively.
    Over spring break, Ripecky went 21-for-40, a .525 average. Among these 21 hits were four doubles, three triples and three home runs, racking up 15 RBI and 13 runs scored.
    On the mound, Santone was dominant, racking up six wins and a save while maintaining a 0.25 ERA in 36 innings.
    In the final game of the week against Hamline, Santone put in what was probably the best pitching performance of the tournament for the Jumbos. A two-hit shutout with six strikeouts and only one walk helped Tufts to a 4-0 win and, more importantly, put the finishing touches on a spectacular week, ensuring that the Jumbos would return home unscathed.
    While Santone prohibited the opposition from scoring, Ripecky was putting runs on the board for the Jumbos. Ripecky broke the scoreless tie in the second inning with a single, advanced on an error by Hamline junior third baseman Brenna Healy and eventually scored on a single by sophomore DH Julia Silberman. Ripecky went 3-for-4 in the game.