Where you read it first | Sunday, May 12, 2024

Jumbos thrash Lasers in midweek skirmish in Newton

The men's lacrosse team polished off its second straight opponent last night, demolishing non-conference foe Lasell College 22-8 to improve to 2-0 on the young season. The game was played down the road in Newton.

The Jumbos were buoyed by an effort that included goals from 14 different players, including five from senior tri-captain Clem McNally. By any angle, the game was a lopsided affair, with Tufts outshooting Lasell 66 to 23 and winning 33 more ground balls.

The Jumbos established themselves as a dominant force early in the game, leading 7-2 at the end of the first quarter. McNally, who is currently tied with sophomore Ryan Molloy for the team lead in goals, was responsible for four of the first-period scores. Tufts' attack was just as relentless in the second quarter, as the team poured in eight more goals to take a 15-3 lead heading into halftime.

The Lasers tightened up their play in the second half, managing to play Tufts even in the third quarter. But the game had long since been decided, and two quick Lasell goals to start the fourth quarter did little to mask the uneven nature of the final score.

Senior goalie Matt Harrigan was called on to save just three shots in 30 minutes of play to record his second win of the season.