Top Ten | Snow Days in Sports

So you think you braved the storm like a true champ venturing to Dewick during yesterday's snow day? Think again. In honor of the first snow day of our Tufts careers, here are the best sports snow games of all time:

10. The Snow Bowl. On Nov. 25, 1950, OSU and Michigan played in front of 50,503 frigid fans for the conference crown — in the biggest blizzard in 37 years in Cleveland. Five inches of snow were already on the ground with a 29-mile-per-hour gale wind dumping more snow all over the players. Now that's football.

9. The other football. Feb. 3 marked the worst snowfall in 18 years. No, not in the gridiron capital of the world — but in the footy capital, the United Kingdom. The "blizzard" resulted in the cancellation of 25 professional soccer games. FYI: This "storm" mustered just below seven inches of snow.

8. Humanitarian Bowl. This college bowl game was played while snow was being dumped on the likes of Clemson and Louisiana as they battled in their 2001 season finale. And who won? The team that built a statue before the game of its good luck charm, Howard's Rock, out of snow. Tigers, 49-24.

7. 2007 Cleveland Indians' home opener. In the Cleveland Indians' home opener against Seattle, the ground crew worked feverishly to combat heavy snow that pounded Jacobs Field, but to no avail. Four and 2/3 innings later, bases loaded and one strike remaining to make it an official game, the Mariners' manager successfully argued to postpone the game due to weather. The Indians were leading 4-0 and Paul Byrd was pitching a no-hitter.

6. Arizona "No-Shows." In Week 16 of the 2008 season, the Cardinals rolled into Foxboro for a snowy afternoon affair only to be feasted on by the snow-tested Patriots in a 47-7 slaughter. Kurt Warner was coddled on the sideline in favor of backup Matt Leinart after a distasteful 6-for-18 showing that only produced 30 passing yards. Then-Patriot Matt Cassel guided the Patriots through the December snow with 345 yards through the air, good for three passing touchdowns.

5. NHL Winter Classic. The now-annual event first took place on New Year's Day in Buffalo between the Pittsburgh Penguins and the home standing Buffalo Sabres. Over 70,000 fans packed the seats at Ralph Wilson Stadium amid blizzard-like conditions to partake in the first outdoor NHL regular-season contest on U.S. soil in history. The visiting Penguins won, 2-1.

4. Raiders-Patriots "Snow Bowl." The infamous "Tuck Rule" game of 2002. With two minutes remaining in the Patriots' playoff game against the Raiders and just out of field goal range, quarterback Tom Brady was hit by an Oakland cornerback, causing a fumble and overturning possession. In a controversial review, officials overturned the original call, allowing the Patriots to battle back into field goal range. With 27 seconds left, kicker Adam Vinatieri hit a climactic 45-yard field goal through strong wind and snow. The Patriots would go on to win the game and the Super Bowl after Vinatieri hit the game-winning field goal from 23 yards.

3. The "Ice Bowl." It was 13 degrees below zero on Dec. 31, 1967 for the NFL Championship game ... and 50,000 fans showed up. Where else but Lambeau Field? The home team fans got their frostbite's worth with a 21-17 Packers victory over the Cowboys, who needed to be de-iced before getting on the plane to fly home.

2. The "No-Show" Bowl. The 1985 Green Bay fans have something to learn from their 1967 counterparts. This game, played in yet another Lambeau field blizzard, saw the most "no-shows" of any game in Packers history. Only 19,856 fans showed up, and the Packers showed the Buccaneers who knows how to run a snowday, putting a 21-0 beating on the warm-weather lovers.

1. The Snowplow Game. In the infamous Dec. 12, 1982 contest between the New England Patriots and the visiting Miami Dolphins, a snow-covered Schaefer Stadium saw the Patriots win 3-0 on a late fourth-quarter field goal by kicker John Smith. Head coach Ron Meyer paused the game before a fourth down and had a snowplow operator clear a spot for holder Matt Cavanaugh to aid in the field goal attempt. Dolphins Hall of Fame coach Don Shula vehemently protested the action, but the Patriots took the wintry win.