Inside the NBA | Greatness in a small package: Nate Robinson's surge to stardom

This past All-Star weekend saw a lot of action, beginning with Oklahoma City Thunder star Kevin Durant's dazzling 46-point performance in the Rookie-Sophomore game and finishing with a Hollywood-style ending of Kobe Bryant of the Los Angeles Lakers and the hometown favorite Shaquille O'Neal of the Phoenix Suns sharing the MVP trophy on Sunday night after the game. But the most electrifying performance of the weekend, the one that had everyone talking on Monday morning, was that of New York Knicks guard Nate Robinson in the Slam Dunk contest on Saturday night.
    After soaring over Orlando Magic big man Dwight Howard — aka Superman — in his green Knicks uniform and neon-green shoes that could blind an unsuspecting viewer, Robinson — aka Krypto-Nate — captured the hearts of NBA fans around the country.
    A former first-round pick in 2005, Robinson was known as Brandon Roy's sidekick during their college days at the University of Washington but was never asked to be a premier scorer. His team earned a No. 1 seed in the NCAA Tournament, and the 5'9" Robinson received some press for his outstanding play for a player his height. Until this year, Robinson was just a bundle of energy off the bench for the Knicks. But under run-and-gun coach Mike D'Antoni, Robinson has been having a coming-out party. Currently averaging 16.6 points and 4.0 assists per game, he is playing a key role in helping the Knicks climb back into NBA respectability.
    In the weeks leading up to the trade deadline, as the Knicks were looking to dump their useless, overpaid players like Jared Jeffries and Jerome James, teams were incessantly asking for a package deal with Robinson and/or David Lee. Most teams around the league, including the Knicks, see Robinson as an energetic, crowd-arousing player that can come off the bench and ignite a team, an essential ingredient in building a championship-caliber franchise. The Knicks, who will undoubtedly be huge players in the summer of 2010, want Robinson to be a central part of the Knicks teams of the future.
    One of the most remarkable things about Robinson's emergence is that his natural position in the NBA is not that of point guard. Although he played point guard in college at Washington, Robinson seems to have a knack for the two-guard position in the NBA. Robinson is the first pure shooting guard in the league under 6'0" since Allen Iverson and is continuing to prove that his height is not a crutch.
    In the month of February, Robinson has averaged 21.7 points and 5.4 assists per game. In a Feb. 11 matchup with the Los Angeles Clippers, Robinson almost netted a triple-double as he scored 33 points, dished out 15 assists, and grabbed nine rebounds. For a short guard, Robinson's explosiveness and body control are his greatest assets. He has the ability to split double teams and elevate on his jumpshot, allowing him to play three or four inches taller than he actually is. D'Antoni has embraced Robinson's fun-loving attitude, and he has written up plays for Robinson to get open along the baseline to catch alley-oops from the top of the key.       There is no question that Robinson's athleticism is his most remarkable asset. As a freshman at Washington, along with being the starting point guard, Robinson was also a starting cornerback for the school's football team. In 13 games, Robinson snatched two interceptions and had 34 tackles as the Huskies finished 7-6 overall and 4-4 in the Pacific-10 Conference. From football to basketball, Robinson's athletic instincts are strong and quick; he can see holes in the defense as they open and has the ability to slice through them before they close.
    With his second Slam Dunk crown in four years, Robinson has become one of the most recognizable faces in the NBA. His affable personality and lightheartedness has made him a fan favorite, not only in New York, but around the league. He has become an extraordinary talent to watch and an energetic player who genuinely enjoys the game of basketball, a trait that is so special in today's NBA.